Functional Messenger for 13" MBA

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by MXSkier62, Aug 27, 2011.

1. MXSkier62 macrumors regular

I'm a grad school student and I'm looking for a good messenger for my MBA. I have a skooba designs 13" messenger, but after about a week the buckle broke and there was never any real padding in the laptop compartment.

What I'm looking for is a bag that:
    - Has a laptop sleeve or section with enough padding that I don't need to put my laptop in a sleeve (not necessary, but would be nice)
    - Enough space in the main pocket for an iPad2 and a 1.5" textbook (since this is all I really need in addition to the MBA)
    - Compartment for pens, and other accessories (only need to carry a MBA charger, that's the biggest thing).

And I'm looking for it to be pretty durable and not too big (i.e. big enough for the above, but not built for a 15" since those are too big).

I've looked at Timbuk2 Commute 2.0 which looked good. Crumpler and Manhattan Portage didn't have the laptop compartment I was looking for. SFBags look fantastic, but the Muzetto is too small I think, and I don't love the design of the cargo (why have a flap if you don't need a flap?)

So.. any ideas? I've prowled the forums for weeks and haven't found anything great.

2. meistervu macrumors 65816

Check out Rickshaw bags

They are made in San Francisco. I don't own a bag made by them, but they look interesting and got some rave reviews.

http://www.rickshawbags.com/

3. glen e macrumors 68030

I thought the same about the flap on the cargo until I used it. It is very nice in covering another compartment that allows you to pack it and then cover with the flap so the bag still looks sleek. Also, the zip compartment in the flap is far bigger than any zip pocket allowing you to get all sorts of large things in it for instant access..perfect when you are catching flights and are looking for articles (headphones) and documents (boarding pass)....

4. minnus macrumors 6502

Since I have a Muzetto, I can help you visualize how it will fit. I have a 15" Muzetto bag though.

For me, I would likely put the iPad 2 (and in my scenario, I have a HP TouchPad) in the back sleeve for easy access. Inside the main compartment is a zippered pouch - which would fit your charger and other accessories.

Attached Files:

5. dangerfish macrumors 6502

6. kwajkat macrumors regular

kwajkat

7. Built macrumors 68020

My vote goes to the Timbuk2 2.0 Commute. I have two of them. One for my 2010 MBP 13 and one for my 2011 MBA 13.

I love the fact that it is TSA compliant and all I have to do is unzip it at the airport and lay it flat.

Lots of room for my iPad, a couple books, accessories (cables, mouse) in a relatively compact size...I've tried Spire and a few other bags, as well as backpacks, but I'm sold on the Timubuk2 2.0 Commute.

8. glen e macrumors 68030

No need for the commute now but did order their rolling copilot luggage - very cool - thanks for the link...

9. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

This is not exactly a messenger bag, but after going through literally dozens of bags over the years, I finally found what I consider the BEST laptop bag out there. I carry my Thinkpad, my MBA, AND my iPad 2, plus tons of cables, accessories, and papers, and I still keep the bag to a relatively small size. Very classy professional looking too. Its the Wegner Signal Double Gusset computer case. $70 at Office Depot. Love it. :cool:

Attached Files:

10. Cynicalone macrumors 68040

Cynicalone

11. eyespii macrumors 6502

12. sloan47 macrumors member

I have a 14" Case Logic Laptop Attaché and I absolutely love it. It's very light and it holds my 13" MBA and iPad perfectly. It has two main compartments so I keep the MBA and the iPad 2 (with smart cover facing the MBA) in the center compartment and any papers/books/notebooks in the outer compartment. There's a third compartment for pens, power supplies, etc.

Here's a url: http://www.caselogic.com/14_laptop_...l/index.cfm?modelid=147737&productid=10011382

13. Tagbert macrumors member