Functions keys won't work when screen is locked

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by archdelux, Feb 4, 2011.

1. archdelux macrumors 6502

Where is the system setting for adjusting this? I can't seem to find this.

I have set a password to log in after screensaver begins, but I want to be able to use my function keys (brightness, volumer, etc) without having to log back in.. It used to work, but now it doesn't..anyone know how to fix this?

2. archdelux thread starter macrumors 6502

bump..any thoughts?

Alternatively does anyone know where the settings are that control the length of time the volume indicator flashes on the screen after pressing volume up/down? THat has also changed--the indicator is on the screen for a lot longer now..

3. BugBytes, Feb 7, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 21, 2016

BugBytes macrumors regular

Well, it works on [edit]'s MBP on 10.6, even if the password is set for the screensaver, what Mac are you using and what version of OSX? However, the volume indicator staying there longer I have no idea how you would change that, if it is changeable, or what.

4. archdelux thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks for responding.

I installed KeyLemon, which is an application that allows you to login via face recognition. After this (and even after uninstalling KeyLemon) I've had this problem with my keys.... any ideas on how to revert back?

5. BugBytes macrumors regular

Maybe there's some .plist or other system file you could look for... I'm not really sure. I once messed my keyboard up so that when I would press "j" it would type "1", "k", "2", and so on, and I delted a system file I beleive to have had the name something like .globalpreferences. After a reboot I was fine. Anyone else got any ideas? BTW Be careful when messing with your system files :)