Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

TheBrokenBee

Suspended
Original poster
Nov 2, 2016
253
67
So I had stored my iphone 6 in a wooden cupboard next to a leather watch case. Due to humidity, the leather watch case developed some mold over it as well as some parts of the inner cupboard. I dont see anything on the phone though.

Is it safe to use the phone? Is it possible for fungus and mold to grow inside the phone? As far as I understand it takes some organic material for them to thrive. The phone is completely dry.
 

willmtaylor

macrumors G4
Oct 31, 2009
10,313
8,191
Here(-ish)
So I had stored my iphone 6 in a wooden cupboard next to a leather watch case. Due to humidity, the leather watch case developed some mold over it as well as some parts of the inner cupboard. I dont see anything on the phone though.

Is it safe to use the phone? Is it possible for fungus and mold to grow inside the phone? As far as I understand it takes some organic material for them to thrive. The phone is completely dry.
...but Apples are organic, no? :D
 

noobinator

macrumors 604
Jun 19, 2009
7,061
6,494
Pasadena, CA
I can't see how it wouldn't be safe, but if moisture / mold got up in your phone it might die after using it. But what's the alternative? Rice? lol
 

willmtaylor

macrumors G4
Oct 31, 2009
10,313
8,191
Here(-ish)
I would swab with alcohol. There’s also a product called phone soap that will get rid of germs. It’s not really soap, but an ultraviolet light accessory.
I've seen that several times and wondered both if it worked and if it was worth it (with thousands of germs all over everything else we own).
 

teeshot44

macrumors 6502a
Aug 8, 2015
892
662
US
Mold requires organic matter for food, moisture, warmth and oxygen. If it was in an organic case of some sort (leather), then pitch the case. Wipe the phone off with an alcohol lens wipe.
 

ftaok

macrumors 603
Jan 23, 2002
6,404
1,440
East Coast
I would swab with alcohol. There’s also a product called phone soap that will get rid of germs. It’s not really soap, but an ultraviolet light accessory.
One could also leave their iPhone out in the sun to soak up some free UV. I guess just make sure it's safe from anyone wanting a free iphone.

to the OP, I wouldn't worry too much about mold/mildew on the iPhone as there's really nothing on the iPhone for the stuff to eat.

Germs, OTOH would be a bigger issue, but wiping with a disinfectant wipe (one that's not too harsh on the oleophobic coating) will kill any germs. Actually, a moist cloth (with water) will probably do the trick. A microbiologist told me once that the mechanical action of rubbing will remove more germs than just spritzing the surface with alcohol. We weren't talking about a phone, however, so YMMV.
 
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.