Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kdoug

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 2, 2010
Iowa City, IA USA
Purchased an "open box" Apple Pencil from Best Buy through eBay. I received the pencil yesterday, charged it, paired it and nothing. It didn't work. Rather than hassle with returning it I called Apple tech to see if they could exchange it and they asked for the serial number. Once I gave them the serial they said "it looks like you called on the 2nd of April on this." I said no, I just received it today.
She said according to their records somebody had called them a week ago using that serial number and Apple determined the pencil to be defective.
So, rather than have it checked out, Best Buy sent me a returned defective pencil assuming that it would magically start working again.
I'm not out anything because I'm going to exchange at the local BB store but I thought it was a little irresponsible on their part.

Sheza

macrumors 68020
Aug 14, 2010
...why did you call Apple to seek an exchange of something you bought open-box from Bestbuy?

Your contract of sale is with Bestbuy. Unless it's technical support you were after, returns and exchanges must be done with Besbuy.

HiItsMe

macrumors 6502
Sep 12, 2014
Shady of BB. Their online info says that if an item was returned due to malfunction, they repair and test it before reselling it. At least they cover it for exchange/return.

kdoug

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 2, 2010
Iowa City, IA USA
...why did you call Apple to seek an exchange of something you bought open-box from Bestbuy?

Your contract of sale is with Bestbuy. Unless it's technical support you were after, returns and exchanges must be done with Besbuy.
New open box is still under warranty and Apple will replace it. If Apple replaces it, the Pencil is taken out of circulation rather than Best Buy reselling it again and again. Capiche?

Last edited:

HiItsMe

macrumors 6502
Sep 12, 2014
Curious though...will they exchange with another open box or for a new one?

kdoug

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 2, 2010
Iowa City, IA USA
Everything turned out great. Best Buy was awesome! They exchanged it in store for a sealed unit at no extra charge.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.