Funny bestbuy experience

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Theclamshell, Aug 5, 2009.

1. Theclamshell macrumors 68030

today i was in bestbuy and i over heard a father and daughter arguing. I went over pretending to play with an imac and i listened the sales rep was like "macs are good because they dont get viruses, i like mine very much"

the daughter was like "yea macs r the best computer" then the dad started flipping out and he said " why would i spend 2000 on a machine when there is an 800 hewlett packard over there this is ridiculous you have to pay so much more just because theres a freakin apple logo stamped on it!!"

then the daughter started talking about all her old computers got viruses and the dad made them all go look at the hp i then heard the mom say to the sales rep " you have been very helpful thank you" and he was like "yea i actually work in the camera department though"

i thought this was really funny how the dad was flipping out imagine how uncomfortable the rep must have been lol

2. jmann macrumors 604

jmann

bump on a log in a hole in the bottom of the sea
    Let the parents buy the crappy computer for their daughter. They will have to hear her whine about it later. She can buy a Mac when SHE has the money for it. Too bad her parents can't see how wonderful Mac computers are.

3. bruinsrme macrumors 601

bruinsrme

yeah when the dad is staring at an extra $1200 I can understand his position.

4. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

I'm glad to see the MacRumors stalking force is out in full force.

In other news, too bad there wasn't an Apple rep in the store, you'd think given the timing they would be there more often.

5. MacMini2009 macrumors 68000

MacMini2009

Are we Bestbuy spies?

6. yojitani macrumors 68000

yojitani

The thing is, when I compare specs, most of the cheaper machines by dell, hp, etc. do not compare with macs. If you do a closer part-by-part (same CPU, RAM, HD, backlit screen etc.) comparison, macs are not drastically different in price (I'm thinking laptops specifically). I guess it depends on what you want out of your computer. If you're just doing a bit of word processing, web surfing, and email I suppose a cheaper option is fine. After many bad experiences with windows, dell, and compaq I personally wouldn't risk it.

7. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

No, just stalkers in general.

8. Theclamshell thread starter macrumors 68030

hahahahaaha!

9. rhsgolfer33 macrumors 6502a

Yeah, my girlfriend's father is the same way. "Why would I purchase a more expensive machine that does nothing different :)rolleyes:)?" Well, maybe because you've replaced your daughters and your computer two to three times in the same amount of time that I've used one $1300 Apple. He's actually ended up shelling out quite a bit more in the long run than I did. Consumers never cease to amaze me, its all about what is the cheapest at the time, not what is cheapest in the long run. Oh well, not everyone is smart enough to apply basic accounting and finance concepts to purchases in their everyday life.

10. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

true but then you run into this wall. To get a 17in Mac you have to pay a arm and a leg. Apple gets burned in that department and they deserve to get burned in that department.

2k for a 17in Laptop when for 600-800 you can get 17 in HP that over kill for what is needed for.

most important factor is the 17 in screen. For a laptop that is just for surfing the web and watching DVD the 17 in Mac is massive over kill and a huge waste of money on extra crap that the they do not need or will ever use.

11. SpaceKitty macrumors 68040

SpaceKitty

True! We sold a four month old MacBook and a one year old MacBook Pro and went and bought a $800 HP. Haven't regretted it and it's been a year.

12. killerrobot macrumors 68020

killerrobot

4-6 PCs in the same time you've had one Apple? What was the warranty on those machines, 30 days?:rolleyes:

If the daughter wants a Mac she can work and save money to buy a Mac.

The funniest thing about the story is that the salesman was from the Camera section.

13. rhsgolfer33 macrumors 6502a

I guess I worded my post oddly (I'll blame it on the fact that I had been doing homework for a few hours prior to writing that post), heres a clearer revision: I've had my Apple for about 4 years, so warranty period is pretty much irrelevant on the computers unless you purchased an extended warranty. My girlfriend is on her second PC (in the period of time in which I've had one) both of which were in the $800 range. So I've spent $1300 and she's spent $1600. Her father has done the same thing with both his desktop machine and his laptop. Sorry for the incorrect wording and number, I should have said she has purchased two computers in the amount of time I've had one.

With computers, in general, I find you get what you pay for. I've used (and continue to use) bot PCs and Apples, but I've never bought extremely cheap ones. I usually go for the middle or upper end when it comes to quality, you don't get that in a $300 laptop (and IMO even in $800 laptops).

14. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

That goes both ways but quite often over used.

My Desktop PC is over 5 years old now and I see it getting at least another year or 2 our of it. I paid 1500 for it when I build it and still going strong. I can not say the same for the mac from then but then again it did not get slammed with a CPU changed like mac did and it has a 64 bit chip in it already....

My laptop is well pretty badly out dated but it is 7 years old now needs to be updated but it did last me 7 years and I believe it was 1000-1200 new.

15. mscriv macrumors 601

mscriv

I hate to be the voice of reason here, but doesn't it depend on what the family plans on using their new computer for? If they just want internet, email, and word processing, then I can understand the Dad's concern about the expense.

My personal advice would be for them to get something that matches their needs. If cost is an issue then I would encourage them to look at used machines. Mac is better for me, but that doesn't mean it's better for everyone.

What's sad is that people often don't take the time needed to truly assess their needs, goals, and budget. They just soak up what advertisers give them, go to a store and make a rushed decision.

16. JhamCT macrumors newbie

Fail

Whatever - I paid $979 for my Macbook. An $800 HP? Good luck with that. Windows = hunk of junk!

17. AngryApple macrumors 6502

I've never seen a BestBuy guy act like that. :eek: Usually they tell you which one is better, but not arguing or anything like that.

This is sorta off topic, but where in BestBuy are the Macs? I can never find them. Just rows and rows of PCs.

18. Antares macrumors 68000

Antares

Many Best Buys have an Apple section....i.e. what looks like a micro Apple Store. They match the design of the Apple Store with the video screens on the walls and the wood tables and white wall, etc.. You'll often find this in the back of the store.

19. benbondu macrumors regular

Yeah, that's the biggest problem with mac notebooks and the main reason I don't recommend them to many people. To get one reasonably priced, you're forced to settle for 13" and a so-so resolution. It makes no sense to me that if the base model MacBook contains all the power you need, it costs you $1300 to upgrade the screen 4 inches.

Personally, I'd probably still get the 13" plus a big external monitor. But I can understand why other people wouldn't want to do that and quite frankly, they shouldn't have to.

20. wywern209 macrumors 65832

wywern209

they do havea 15 in macbook pro now w/ the same specs as the macbook 13 in but ata slightly higher price like 1699 or something.

21. Theclamshell thread starter macrumors 68030

i agree completely over the summer i had nothing to do so i would go on dell`s website and other company's and to get the same specks would be around the same but mostly a little cheaper

22. morgothaod macrumors regular

I witnessed a funny experience at Best Buy too. A sales rep was recommending a laptop to a guy. Then all of a sudden a customer went up to the rep and said she had a return. She said she experienced a problem with the laptop the sales rep was recommending to the guy. So the guy customer who was gonna get the laptop, start questioning the customer who was returning hers. He said, "so how was it?" She basically said it was a piece of crap and she was unhappy with it. The guy then turned to the sales rep and became very annoyed. Then he walked away.

23. dmmcintyre3 macrumors 68020

^^ Wonder how much the Piece of Crap (PC for short) laptop cost?

Yes, laptops are very simular in price. The Dell I have hackintoshed was about the same price as a low end MacBook when I compared them spec for spec, except the dell had a bigger screen at the same resolution as the MacBook. Yes this dell started at ~$600 but it was a major junkpile at that config. But the MacBook had a NVIDIA GForce 9400m and this dell has a crappy Intel GMA x4500mhd. You could call this dell a blue night light and the MacBook would be a white one but with less lights to cover up.

But I got this Dell for free

24. Theclamshell thread starter macrumors 68030

this made me lol, great story!

yes you can get bigger screens for the same price but what kills me is the ones that have 1376X768 resolution and it costs u $100 to upgrade to a decent res. Its good to hear you have a nice hackintosh though i think there cool