Funny grammar error from apple. Take Siri seriously!

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by xFerrr, Jan 21, 2016.

1. xFerrr macrumors member

xFerrr

2. mobilehaathi macrumors G3

mobilehaathi

3. BradWould macrumors 6502

BradWould

Unless I'm missing something, I believe you're mistaken. I see no grammar errors.

4. MICHAELSD macrumors 68040

MICHAELSD

I believe OP is inferring that "die" is a typo, when "die" is in in fact the singular form of "dice."

5. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

Ah, don't they teach basic grammatical stuff - such as the difference between the singular and the plural form of a word any longer? A small hint: It is not always achieved with the addition of the single letter 's' to the plural form.

6. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

A thread such as this appeals to something deep and atavistic in me. It thrills me at a visceral level. In fact, at one stage in my life, I used to work as an editor in the parliamentary debates office, - and - even before that - I think I could have been described as something of a grammar fascist.

7. Gregg2 macrumors 603

...such as, addendum, referendum, honorarium, deer (and so on)

of course, you meant to the singular form, or to make the plural (editing oversight?)

8. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

Yes, I did indeed. Singular form……..

Writing on the hoof is never a good idea - and computer screens seem to allow for a multiplication of errors, - at least, when I write, - most of which would be instantly picked up on a printed page.

While I rarely re-read posts before pressing 'send' - or 'post reply', unfortunately I do seem to re-write them as more thoughts and tweaks occur, and it is only when they are re-read subsequently that something - which was not an error in the original (unrevised) draft, has become so because one (this one) thought (sometimes foolishly) to add to one's post before checking whether everything was in perfect grammatical conformity.

Foolish at any time; doubly so, when writing about grammar……...

9. \-V-/ Suspended

\-V-/

Can we have an Irony section for threads like this?

10. Renzatic Suspended

Renzatic

Gramps, what the hell am I paying you for?
    Jawohl, überwortmeister SkeptischSchreiber! Heute korrigieren wir Macrumors. Morgen die Welt!

...sorry. Couldn't resist. :p

11. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

Well, I had toyed with the idea of describing myself as a sort of Grammar Nazi, but refrained from doing so, before settling on the term 'fascist' as adequate for my immediate needs. Somehow, the idea of a Grammar Communist doesn't quite convey the same idea, does it?

12. Renzatic Suspended

Renzatic

Gramps, what the hell am I paying you for?
    No, it doesn't. A Grammar Communist would attempt to speak a collectivist lingo that, while not necessarily correct, is the will of the people. That's something I could like totes see you throwing shade on, amirite?

So I guess Grammar Fascist is a good compromise between being a Grammar Communist, and a Grammar Nazi.

13. Mousse, Jan 22, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 22, 2016

Mousse macrumors 68000

Mousse

The English language has too many rules for plurals.:mad: Too many rules and exceptions to rules for that matter. It's no wonder non-native speakers find it difficult. Plural of goose is geese; noose is nooses, moose is moose.

As another grammar nazi friend of mine is fond of saying, "If you don't correct their mistakes, the errorist win."

14. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

Lovely examples.

The plural of 'ice' is ices, that of 'die' (already discussed) is 'dice', whereas the plural of mouse is mice, yet the plural of house is houses….

Well, I'm still of a mind to declare grammatical war on the 'errorist'.

15. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

As noted, "die" is correct, although relatively uncommon (at least over here). This one amused me though (look at the battery meter).

16. Gregg2 macrumors 603

This one is to die for...

17. mobilehaathi macrumors G3

mobilehaathi

Just wait until you try to pluralize nouns in Arabic.;)