Funny, Interesting, & Disturbing Story for Everyone

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by RickyD53, Sep 19, 2014.

1. RickyD53 macrumors regular

So, Wednesday AT&T cancelled my preorder for a 128gb 6 Plus. I then decided, I'll just try my lucky camping out at AT&T. Went over to my local AT&T yesterday evening at 5PM when my friend who was working had let me know there was 6 people in line at the time. Got there, I was number 8 in line. Once I got word of the stores inventory count (206 iPhone 6/6Plus total, 5 128gb 6 plus, 3 64g 6 Plus), I began taking a head count of the people in front of me. I was going to get the 4 or 5th 128gb.

Everyone in line is chilling, talking, getting to know each other. Night goes on, we're all watching each others backs, I'm letting people who show up later about the numbers so they don't end up wasting their time camping out all night.

15 hours pass, and its finally 7:30AM and the AT&T employees start handing out papers to write down what phone you want. So now the 7 people in front of me are set in stone and I was going to be left with the last 128gb iPhone 6 Plus, cool. They start letting us in and as they let us in, they matched us with a rep. They ask what phone we wanted but they didn't go to the back to grab the phone so the another person can't grab it for a customer behind you in the queue. The rep takes my information and goes to the back. 5 minutes later he comes back with a 16gb iPhone 6. WHAT?! Because of the fact they didn't keep track of the phone each person wanted as they walked in, people who came later than I did or the couple who were in line since 1PM, were getting the models that we wanted. I camped outside an AT&T for 15 hours to be at the top of the line, and I still walk away empty handed.

Lets just say, I'm contemplating canceling all 3 of my lines and all of my home services from them (Phone, Internet, TV).

2. ARSC macrumors 6502

Dont worry buddy i know how you feeling but stuff happens.

3. mtneer macrumors 68020

mtneer

Yeah, launch day is not the best time to have high expectations. In face it's best to expect not to get anything in launch day - if you do manage to score what you wanted, consider it a bonus.

4. RickyD53 thread starter macrumors regular

Even if I'm in the front of the line? Really?

5. offcamber macrumors 6502

offcamber

Been in a similar situation for the iPhone 5 release at an AT&T store.
    Third guy in line got in the store and then called his wife who showed up with their teenage kids and they grabbed 4 phones.

That's why they make the bumper sticker.......

6. rararobb macrumors newbie

I had the same experience but the manager sort of fixed it.

I was number 3. The store had 5 plus models. The rep working with me went on and on trying to sell me stuff I didn't want until I demanded that he go get the phone first. By the time he got to the back, they had given out all of the plus models except for one 16g to people behind me in line.

I asked for the manager and explained the dilemma. I told him I was very disappointed that after waiting for 11 hours, the store was selling the phone I wanted to someone who only waited 2 hours. He first said there was nothing he could do. Then he told me I could take the 16g and that he would let me exchange it, for free, once they get a 64g. I wasn't stoked about the limited storage, but decided that it was better than having waited all night and left empty handed.

Now, I need to gets case stat. I'm terrified I will drop the thing.

I'm sorry you got burned by this. I told them they really need to up the game prep next year because people spend a lot of time trying to obtain the devices and it is very upsetting when the store can't even bother to ensure the first come, first served approach actually occurs.

7. mtneer macrumors 68020

mtneer

Yeah. People have been beaten, robbed, punched in the face... and a lot more. Launch day horrors are all over the news every year. It's nothing new.. Not that I am wishing for bad things to happen to anyone, but its reality.