Funny Memory Stick Problem

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by jbrown, Jul 3, 2009.

1. jbrown macrumors 6502a

jbrown

Hello all,

I just bought an 8 gig memory stick - that was advertised as being PC & Mac compatible. I put it in and it loaded fine. But when I tried to copy a file to it - it told me that the file name was too long. The name wasn't that long so I renamed it '1.jpg' - but got the same response. I tried other files and go the same.

So I launched 'Disk Utility' and reformatted it using the 'Mac OS Extended ( journaled ) option. This worked fine.

But this time when I tries to copy any files, it told me that the operation could not be completed because I did not have sufficient privileges to do this.

Any ideas how I can get it to work?

cheers all:)

2. kornyboy macrumors 68000

Wirelessly posted (iPhone: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_0 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7A341 Safari/528.16)

Go back into Disk Utility and Repair the Permissions for the drive. That should fix the problem. If it doesn't I'd return it.

3. milk242 macrumors 6502a

Some memory sticks have a little switch on them to toggle back and forth fir write protection (can't copy anything to the drive) or no write protection. See if you have a switch like that

4. jbrown thread starter macrumors 6502a

jbrown

Thanks for the input guys!!

Tried to repair permissions, but that option is greyed out, so I can't do that.

Decided to do Repair, and it came up with the following:

Verifying volume “Untitled”
    Checking Journaled HFS Plus volume.
    Invalid node structure
    Volume check failed.

Error: Filesystem verify or repair failed.

There is no switch on the drive.