Funny Microsoft story to share

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by MattG, Feb 21, 2008.

1. MattG macrumors 68040

MattG

So at the University where I work, we are in the process of preparing to roll out Office 2007 to everyone (we're a Windows school). We're trying to come up with some training materials for our staff to look at in advance, since '07 looks/functions a lot differently than '02/'03.

We've got these two Microsoft reps who have been trying to help us. There are these "Office 2007 -- Up to Speed" videos out there on Microsoft's web site that are pretty good, and go over the basics...there's one for each program (Word, Powerpoint, etc.) The thing is, we want to download them and put them on a local server so people don't have to stream them from Microsoft's web site and wait for it to come up. Plus, these new videos require their new "Silverlight" application to stream them, which is something we don't want users to have to install.

Anyway, some of the videos have direct links to simply download the WMV video to your computer, and several do not. I emailed our MS reps to see if they had the direct links for the missing ones, but they didn't and said it was probably an 'oversight' by Microsoft, and that we would just have to stream them and download Silverlight to each computer. Well, I was playing around on my Mac and noticed that when I tried to stream one of the videos, since there is no Silverlight for Mac, it instead just goes straight to downloading the WMV when it detects a system that's incompatible with Silverlight. I tried doing this on the pages that were missing a direct download link, and it downloaded the WMVs to my computer!

And so of course, I told our Microsoft reps about my workaround, and ended my email with "Apple to the rescue :)" It's not every day you get to gloat to Microsoft that your Mac did something that their system couldn't, so I got a kick out of it :)

2. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

There are no funny Microsoft stories, only tragic ones.

3. Mammoth macrumors 6502a

Mammoth

Okay then. Maybe there's other nice things for download on their website.

4. Hello.there macrumors 6502a

Hello.there

Love it :D You should tell the Microsoft chaps to send a thank you letter to Apple. :)

5. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

FYI: There is a Mac version of SL, but the site will have just noticed that you didn't have it and proceeded with the WMV download.

6. MattG thread starter macrumors 68040

MattG

Good to know...thanks!