Funny noises: drive or fan? With MP3s!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by muaythai, May 24, 2012.

1. muaythai macrumors member

15" MacBook Pro has been making funny noises. I recorded these two MP3s using the external mic and Audacity:
    http://dl.dropbox.com/u/283061/noise01.mp3
    http://dl.dropbox.com/u/283061/noise02-highcpu.mp3

Obviously they sound a bit more amplified than what you would hear if you were in front of the computer, as the mic is located on the machine... Anyway, it's bad and I need to know if it's the drive or the fan and there's no Apple store where I live. So, what do you think??

2. riptideMBP macrumors 6502

Its kinda hard to tell without being with the actual machine. The hard drive is located under the right palmrest, so if you put your ear directly on the palmrest, you should easily be able to discern whats going on.

3. muaythai thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the reply- I'll try to locate exactly where the sound is coming from.

4. jjnguy macrumors newbie

That sounds like it is a fan. If your hard drive was spinning at those different frequencies and making those sounds you would most likely be having much worse problems.

Also, your HDD probably wouldn't be spinning up in time of high CPU usage. However, your fans most definitely will in order to cool off the CPU that generates way more heat under high usage.

5. muaythai thread starter macrumors member

Yeah, more and more I'm thinking it's the fan b/c hard drives sound different, and the sounds don't change or get more dramatic as the CPU cycles increase.

I'll be getting a new logic board when I go back to the US in a month- are the fans built into the logic board or are they entirely a different compoonent?

Thanks!

6. snaky69 macrumors 603

They are screwed onto it then plugged in, they are real easy to remove. Fans sound that way when they're dying.

7. muaythai thread starter macrumors member

You guys are great- thanks for listening and helping out.