Funny trackpad issue, do you think it's a defect?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by SLC Flyfishing, Jan 8, 2008.

1. SLC Flyfishing macrumors 65816

SLC Flyfishing

I have had my Macbook for about 8 months now, everything has worked flawlessly so far. But last night when I was surfing the net, I noticed that my click button on my trackpad is making a funny sound. It happens when I first let my thumb strike it before it actually gets pressed in, I know this because I can cause the sound without even pressing the button fully. It's a new sound, kinda like the button is either loose or there's a squeak in it, I want to take it in and see what they'll do for me because it's already driving me crazy.

What do you think they'll do for me? Are they going to want to send it in for an extended repair off site? Are they going to tell me it's not covered under warranty? Will they swap it out right there? What do you think they'll do?

SLC

2. Aniej macrumors 68000

Aniej

they are certainly not going to swap out your computer over an issue like this. Take it in and let them evaluate it. The problem is quite minor in terms of any repair that would need to be done and should not take many days at all.

3. SLC Flyfishing thread starter macrumors 65816

SLC Flyfishing

By swap out I meant swap out the trackpad button.

SLC

4. topher2889 macrumors regular

topher2889

I had the same exact issue with my 6 month old macbook. Took it to the apple store, told them it was squeaking and clicking weird. No questions asked they replaced the entire top case of the macbook including the keyboard as he said it was all one part. Great Service from apple yet again!:)

5. Surely Guest

Surely

I had some issues with my MacBook keyboard and trackpad when I first got it.

The 'j' key didn't work every time I hit it, and the trackpad button made a loud crunch sound when I clicked it and wasn't balanced properly.

At first I decided to wait it out, thinking that there was a 'work in' time. After around 3 weeks, I decided to take it to the Genius Bar and have them take a look at it.

The guy who helped me clicked the trackpad button once, saw that the 'j' key didn't work properly, and told me within 20 seconds that they need to replace the keyboard and trackpad. It was a warranty issue.

I brought my MacBook in on Friday at 5:30pm, and they called me at 8 pm that it was ready. It was supposed to take up to 48 hours. 3.5 hours works for me!:D

Now I have a perfect MacBook. I loved it before, and I love it more now.

Hope my little story was helpful....