Funny tweet about the Windows 8 tablet.

Discussion in 'iPad' started by LateAppleFan, Sep 14, 2011.

1. LateAppleFan macrumors member

No sure if this has been mentioned else where in MacRumors, but I found this tweet by Jim Dalrymple from The Loop to be very funny.

"Apple fanboy: Some one who likes Apple products. Microsoft fanboy: Guy carrying the fan that keeps the Windows 8 tablet from over heating."

https://twitter.com/#!/jdalrymple/status/113780316346392576

Apparently, there has been a war of tweets going on concerning the iPad vs the just announced Windows 8 tablet.

http://tech.fortune.cnn.com/category/apple-2-0/

And yes, I kid you not, the Windows 8 tablet has a fan inside that rarely shut off while being used!

http://www.loopinsight.com/2011/09/13/must-have-accessory-for-windows-8-tablets

2. jsh1120 macrumors 65816

When you have a Core i5 processor running, it's a good idea to cool all that horsepower. Tablets that use cpus designed for phones don't have that problem.

3. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

MacBook Air has a fan, it just does not need to be constantly on.

4. chrono1081 macrumors 604

chrono1081

I loled at this.

What were they thinking with the fan? Thats just a bad idea...

5. Truffy macrumors 6502a

Truffy

6. jsh1120 macrumors 65816

I doubt that will be the case with the production version of the Samsung, either, but time will tell. Seriously, though, this is not an iPad competitor. Its natural competition is the AIR. But bridging the gap to tablet with its touch interface and without its separate keyboard about a half pound lighter than the MBA.

7. Blakjack macrumors 68000

Blakjack

I mean, I understand the fan because of the CPU and all, but the whole idea of a tablet with a fan just drowns all the coolness of owning a tablet. I don't need my tablet to do everything a PC does. If it needs a fan, I feel it isn't ready to compete yet.

8. jsh1120 macrumors 65816

As noted above, what constitutes a "tablet" is not carved in stone. You may not need a tablet to do everything a PC does, but just reading this forum should suggest to you that many people want/need exactly that.

And if you don't want all those bells and whistles there will be other tablets running less demanding cpu's that won't need fans and won't be at the same price point.

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/technologybrierdudleysblog/index.html

9. ActionableMango macrumors 604

ActionableMango

I don't know why it's funny that a desktop CPU requires a fan. Of course a desktop CPU requires a fan.

Windows 8 is also being made for ARM. It could theoretically run on a processor that is much more power efficient than an i5.

10. xraydoc macrumors demi-god

xraydoc

A big olde' tablet with a desktop CPU and a fan? May as well fold the 11" MacBook Air screen backward and call it a tablet.

Tablet. "You keep using that word. I don't think it means what you think it means."

11. filmbuff macrumors 6502a

filmbuff

An i5 and a cooling fan will let you run much more powerful software than an ipad... for 10 minutes until the battery dies.:rolleyes:

12. Tilpots macrumors 601

Tilpots

Inconceivable!

13. stevep macrumors 6502a

stevep

Most of the replies to the OP completely miss the point I'm afraid. This was not a demo of a tablet, it was a demo of Windows 8. It just so happens that the only hardware available to run the current incarnation of this OS has an Intel processor, which just happens to need a fan to keep it cool. Intel have yet to come up with a suitable tablet processor which MS could have used for this demo, and MS themselves have yet to reach the stage when they can demo their OS on Arm architecture.

Like it or not, when MS, Arm and the tablet manufacturers get their products together the iPad will have some competition. It will probably be quite successful (especially if it integrates well with desktop Office apps, and things like Outlook and Exchange, and if there is a cloud infrastructure available for its' users). And that will be a good thing for everyone, as it will push Apple (and others) to keep developing.

14. psonice macrumors 6502a

Guys, you do realise this is a development device running a preview of an OS that won't be released for maybe a year? Comparing it to a consumer device running a finished OS is just silly. It's like comparing a small ford with a prototype ferrari and laughing at the loud noise and poor mileage!

The whole point of this tablet is to get the OS in the hands of developers early so they can start making apps (something apple doesn't do). Developers don't need a nice thin device with good battery life. They need something that runs, preferably fast because it helps cut development time. They'll also want something with an ARM chip at some point for performance testing, but it seems the hardware isn't ready yet and that can come later.

Besides that, in what way is this tablet a bad thing? It's MUCH faster than an ipad2, and can much more complex software, do background processing and so on. Some of that would be a bad thing, *except* that they're also going to make iPad style ARM tablets which will (presumably) come with no fan and long battery life. Some people would take more power and weight or less battery life over thinness. Choice is good.

The OS on the other hand I reckon is a disaster. I base that opinion on having used it for a while. The problem: it's half tablet OS and half desktop OS. The desktop part won't be nice on a tablet, the tablet part isn't nice on a desktop. But you only run it on one or the other, so you inevitably have to use the tablet OS on the desktop - and that new start screen with a keyboard + mouse is a step backwards.

I mean seriously, why is there TWO internet explorers now? And two control panels, and presumably two copies of word and excel with different interfaces? If you need two copies of each app, you're doing it wrong.

15. FloatingBones macrumors 65816

FloatingBones

Thank you and @psonice for bringing some sanity to this thread. And @psonice notes: this will also be a platform for developers to work on apps for the platform.

What we can say: this is a very different paradigm than Apple uses for its products. For the iPad, apple let a few developers have preliminary access for creating iPad-ready apps, but it was in incredibly-controlled environments. Simply because MS does it differently than Apple doesn't mean one technique for rolling out products is better.

I wish the OP had included the word "prototype" in the thread title.

Tablets will either use an ARM processor, or Intel will have figured out how to make a flavor of their processor with sufficiently low power consumption to use it as a tablet. Or maybe both will occur.

I wonder if MS can afford to keep Office out of the iOS ecology. That is a big risk for them -- either way!