Furious at Apple for letting my dad down

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by johnnyjibbs, Dec 5, 2007.

1. johnnyjibbs macrumors 68030

johnnyjibbs

Hi all,

[Note the following applies to the UK - I'm not sure if the US has the same iPod Composite/Component AV cables].

Having successfully weened my mum and dad onto the Mac with their purchase of a brand new iMac last month, my dad certainly is an Apple convert. He already owns an iPod that does video, which he bought in February this year, courtesy of me. He's now bought an Airport Express and numerous other accessories to complement his iMac.

Unfortunately, my dad's near perfect opinion of Apple was tainted somewhat last night on Apple's London Regent Street Stores's refusal to exchange what was assumed to be a faulty iPod componenet cable that my dad had bought off the Apple online store. (It later turns out that the cable was not faulty; just that dad's iPod is not compatible, accounting for the blue colour to the TV output). My dad was seriously annoyed at the excuses that the Retail Store and Online Store were different companies and that goods could not be exchanged between the two. My dad would have to go thorough the hassle of sending off the £30 item in the post and wait a week for something to arrive back.

If that wasn't bad enough, dad today decided to phone the customer service line, where he was told that his iPod (apparently a 5th generation one) was not compatible with the AV Component Cable. No, he needed the AV Composite Cable instead. (Of course, non-technical people will really notice the difference between the two identically-boxed cables, just as the average iPod consumer would know the difference between a 5th generation iPod and an iPod Classic).

But, alas, all was not lost, as the so-called technical guy said that a simple purchase of the £35 Universal Dock would solve the problem. Fat lot of good that did. Examination in more detail of an Apple support webpage shows that the Dock does not make the 5th generation iPod compatible with the Component cable for TV.

My dad would actually like to keep the Dock for his iPod. But all the same, he was duped into buying an unnecessary accessory at extra cost.

I have always thought that Apple has not ever been clear enough at giving each hardware revision a clear enough identity. It is not clear that my black and white click-wheel iPod is a 4th generation, or that my dad's is a 5th generation, never mind that my 12" PowerBook is a rev B "DVI" version. This causes confusion for customers, especially when certain accessories do not work with different versions. Imagine buying a Nintendo Wii, to find that Mario Galaxy didn't work because it required the 3rd generation version of the console. (The one difference is Apple's operating system, with clear big cat names distinguishing different versions and the switch to roman numerals to illustrate the compatibility between OS 9/X).

I believe that my dad should receive a free, brand new Composite AV cable from Apple, and even a full refund on the Universal Dock, should he want to take it back [for being sold it under false/incorrect pretences]. However, my dad's squeaky clean perception of Apple has been shattered, relegated to the Currys of the electronic world (those in the UK will know what I mean), all in the name of 30 quid.

Apple should realise its brand is one of the most powerful in the world. But word of mouth is equally as powerful. Has anyone else had similar experiences? Your comments would very much be welcome.

Thanks,

A frustrated Mac and Apple fan.

John

2. ntrigue macrumors 68040

ntrigue

I am sorry to hear that Apple handled this situation poorly. However, who do you expect to apologize; the industry that named cables with 'compo' at the beginning. They are entirely different. The single video cable composite is split into three colorstreams with component. The latter capable of 720p and better reproduction of colors. Furthermore, your dad's iPod is not the newest and the greatest. The accessory and support industry has moved on without him in mind; we can't blame them, see capitalism.

3. desenso macrumors 6502a

desenso

4. zirkle2007 macrumors 6502

zirkle2007

I would actually advise you try to call again. In my experience different people deliver different results. But anyways, they aren't perfect...

5. emptyCup macrumors 65816

emptyCup

Yes, and be polite. Apple has replaced things for me that have been my fault.

6. speakerwizard macrumors 68000

speakerwizard

7. johnnyjibbs thread starter macrumors 68030

johnnyjibbs

Thanks for your responses. Furious wasn't really the right word. More like disappointed.

8. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

It does state, in very obvious, clear, unambiguous text with pictures to make it easy that the component cables are only compatible with specific iPods. Your father is clearly the one at fault here.

9. lofight macrumors 68000

lofight

ditto, my battery really had a hard time being with me :p

10. Macky-Mac macrumors 68030

Macky-Mac

I don't see why he should get something he didn't pay for......if he bought the wrong thing, they should let him return it, but he's only owed what he paid for....the idea that he deserves something free just because he didn't figure out the correct thing to buy in the first place???? sorry, don't agree with that

11. Roy Hobbs macrumors 68000

Roy Hobbs

robbieduncan you have nailed it, if the original posters father would have taken the time to read the box none of this would have happened.

12. nc7r macrumors member

nc7r

I think you're overlooking something which is out of the apple retailer's hands. They are two different companies, and there is no way for an Apple store to send back an item which you bought online.

It's not an apple employee being difficult or making your life hell for the fun of it, as far as I can see it's something which is an impossibility due to the nature of how the businesses are run.

If the apple store were to take your purchased item back then as far as I'm aware they'd just send it back to the online store like you would, making it an extra days wait.