Further confusion over Mac pro memory... :(

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by acemcsword, Aug 29, 2007.

1. acemcsword macrumors newbie

hello

apologies if this queiry is answered elsewhere - i had a hunt but couldnt find a 'specific' answer!

i have a mac pro with technically 3gb of memory in it. however it is arranged in 2 x1gb and 2 x 512gb.

I am (unfortunately) running bootcamp to use some 3D software that is PC exclusive.

on inspection of the spec according to XP it says i only have 2gb ram!! i tried swapping over the RAM (please be gentle - i am not that clue'd up about computers - i have an 'understanding' :) ) and that resulted in it telling em i had 1 gb ram

so to summarise it seems that XP isnt recognising whatever memory is in slot 3 and 4.

i havent tried checking the spec in OSX yet.

has anyone come across this issue beofore? can mac pro's only take the same volume ram i.e. only 1gb sticks? is this an XP bootcamp thing - should i use parrrallels instead?

its not a critical thing - but seems a waste to have that extra 1gb sitting in there not doing anything!!

little help?? :(:(:(:(

2. Sean Dempsey macrumors 68000

Sean Dempsey

Well first of all... yeah you should probably boot into OSX and check what the system profiler says before posting on a Mac forum.

Second - you don't have them all in the same riser, do you? You should have the 2x1gb in slots 1 and 2 of the top riser, and the 2x512mb in slots 1 and 2 of the bottom riser. Is that how you have it installed?

Answer those 2 questions and then come back, I doubt anyone can help you until you do.

3. acemcsword thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks

thanks CanadaRAM - that article clears it up for me.

and thanks Sean Dempsey for being slightly helpful, but mostly condescending and sarcastically arrogant.

:D

4. Kosh66 macrumors 6502

Yes, I think we should have a Bootcamp/Windows forum if we're going to support Windows questions. I had to resist the urge to say "I don't do Windows!".

5. Sean Dempsey macrumors 68000

Sean Dempsey

I wasn't being condescending and arrogant, I literally couldn't answer the question without more information.

And, Kosh66 we do have a windows forum, down below the rest.