Further knowledge

Discussion in 'iOS Programming' started by John Pex, Nov 29, 2015.

1. John Pex macrumors newbie

Hello guys,

I have been into iOS development for about a year now. I first started on some udemy courses.
    I have gone through Firebase and cocoa and many other things. But i still lack some important knowledge. For example: i was creating a clone of some social app and couldn't figure out how to add friends or import the iphone contacts and so on.

For experienced and self taught developers, where did you get this further knowledge? I'm still young and don't really know how to proceed now that I have finished all introductory courses and stuff.

2. 1458279 Suspended

It looks like Firebase is a 3rd party multi-platform tool and Udemy teaches all kinds of stuff. In order to further your knowledge, we'd need to know what direction you are looking to go.

Apple offers ObjC and Swift to make apps with, many other vendors offer tools to script engines to run apps on several platforms and there's also web apps.

In order to help, you could offer some insight into what direction you are looking to go. Most here go with Apple native tools.

Also, telling us what your goals are would help. Are you looking for employment or to develop games as an solo dev, utility apps, etc...

On a side note, looks like Udemy might be a bit of a scam: http://www.theverge.com/2015/11/29/9813780/udemy-pirated-course-copyright-troy-hunt

3. John Pex thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the reply.
    I'm looking to improve my knowledge in building real time apps like twitter. with nice table view functions and real time features. Those kind of stuff.
    I didn't know that about udemy, but it was the only source I could find..

4. 1458279 Suspended

It sounds like you want to look at Objective-C or Swift as a language. Apple offers Xcode as an editor and your choice of Objective-C or Swift as the languages for native Apple only development.

Other companies offer cross platform tools that will allow you to create an app for Android and Apple at the same time. They use all different languages from Java to custom scripting languages. I think most of them charge a fee for use of their system, whereas Apple's offerings are free.

The process of learning usually involves downloading Apple's Xcode from the AppStore, install it on your Mac and start reading books or watching videos. I assume you have a mac computer (Apple requires it for submission to the AppStore, IIRC).

After you understand Xcode and Object Oriented Programming (OPP), you can search iTunesU for Stanford iOS programming classes and/or use YouTube to find tutorials.

Some sites like Ray Wenderlich offer a huge selection of tutorials and forums. http://www.raywenderlich.com/

That should keep you busy for a while :D