Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

wifeofpdx

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 20, 2008
I have Fusion running for the sole purpose of using MS Outlook. I have run into a problem I was wondering if someone could help me out with.

Under VM settings, you can choose the default mail and internet program to use. So if I get a web link in Outlook and click it, it opens that web page in MAC OS internet browser.

Is there a way, or a plug in, or anything that I can setup so that when I get an attachment in Outlook I can default open these attachments in the MAC OS?

GregE

macrumors 6502
Nov 28, 2007
I think you mistyped your message. You say it opens in a Mac browser and then you ask if you can make it open in a Mac browser. I think you mean it opens in a Windows browser but you would like it to open in a Mac browser.

I used to use Outlook in Fusion and no way that I know of to do that. I ended up going to Entourage and so far so good.

wifeofpdx

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 20, 2008
I think you mistyped your message. You say it opens in a Mac browser and then you ask if you can make it open in a Mac browser. I think you mean it opens in a Windows browser but you would like it to open in a Mac browser.

I used to use Outlook in Fusion and no way that I know of to do that. I ended up going to Entourage and so far so good.

Re-read... I am trying to figure out how to open MS OUTLOOK attachments, like word, excel, .PDF, ETC.... in the MAC OS programs.

Right now, if I click on an attachment in MS Oulook, it opens that program in MS Office.

I would like the attachments to open in MAC Office, or MAC iWokrs.....just like when I click a web link it opens in MAC Firefox.

GregE

macrumors 6502
Nov 28, 2007
Re-read... I am trying to figure out how to open MS OUTLOOK attachments, like word, excel, .PDF, ETC.... in the MAC OS programs.

Right now, if I click on an attachment in MS Oulook, it opens that program in MS Office.

I would like the attachments to open in MAC Office, or MAC iWokrs.....just like when I click a web link it opens in MAC Firefox.

My bad. How did you set up the web link so it opens Mac Firefox?

wifeofpdx

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 20, 2008
My bad. How did you set up the web link so it opens Mac Firefox?

You go to VM settings. You will see a "shared" folder. If you open that up, it's like a control panel type environment, you will have the option to choose how to open web links in emails, and :email to in all your mac docs..

Let me know if you have troubles.

Anyone else know how the heck to make Outlook open attachments in the Mac OS?

darkcurse

macrumors 6502a
Nov 5, 2005
Sydney
Fusion settings > Sharing > Check both in "Shared Applications" > In Windows "Open With" Set it to the Mac programs and choose "set as default" or something.

wifeofpdx

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 20, 2008
Fusion settings > Sharing > Check both in "Shared Applications" > In Windows "Open With" Set it to the Mac programs and choose "set as default" or something.

Just tried that, thanks for the suggestion, but it does not give default app choices for office programs.

I accessed the default apps in through the control panel as well as right clicking on an app and choosing "open with".

For example, I right clicked a word document and under "open with" there were no choices for any mac programs....

Am I missing something??

darkcurse

macrumors 6502a
Nov 5, 2005
Sydney
Its called "Default Host Application" you have to make sure the folder is shared between both OSX and Windows for it to work though.

Which means I don't think you can open up attachments from outlook directly unless you save it to a folder that is shared.

wifeofpdx

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 20, 2008
Its called "Default Host Application" you have to make sure the folder is shared between both OSX and Windows for it to work though.

Which means I don't think you can open up attachments from outlook directly unless you save it to a folder that is shared.

That is what I was afraid of... I haven't had time to do anymore research on the subject.

Another problem is plugging in a card reader to the Mac OS and trying to attach pics or docs directly from OUTLOOK.....

darkcurse

macrumors 6502a
Nov 5, 2005
Sydney
Now that is possible, when you plug it in, Vmware should capture the USB card reader and mount it within windows. If it doesn't, just eject it Mac-side and connect it in Vmware

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.