Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

retro83

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 3, 2008
Since the 10.5.2 and graphics updates last night, my VMWare Fusion install of XP has become slower.

You can easily demonstrate this by dragging a window around on the desktop, it now suffers from savage glitching and tearing whereas it was perfectly smooth before.

I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling the Vmware tools and rebooting a few times but it's still slow.

Anybody know how to solve this one? (this is a X3100 Macbook btw.)

Cheers!
R. :confused:

retro83

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 3, 2008
Apologies for bumping my own post, but I installed Parallels demo, and it also is much slower than when I'd previously tested it.

Anybody else with a Macbook experiencing these problems?

PS. I also tried fresh installs of 2000 on both VMs and they are both still really slow.

kfordham281

macrumors 6502
Dec 4, 2007
Apple released an update to "Leopard Graphics" yesterday too. It requires 10.5.2 so it probably won't show up until you have that installed.

retro83

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 3, 2008
Thanks for your replies!

I've done quite a bit of testing now - reinstalling with and without various updates and the conclusion I've reached is that as soon as you install the Leopard Graphics Update 1.0 the graphics in VMWare become jerky.

Apparently this only affects the X3100 Macbooks. I've posted over at the VMware forums where somebody was kind enough to submit a bug report for me, and I've posted a bug to Apple as well.

Hopefully between them this will get squashed!

noetus

macrumors member
Sep 3, 2007
New York Cirty
It helps quite a bit to disable the themes service and run a Windows classic session. That's also a good idea anyway (both for aesthetic reasons and to minimise the resources Fusion sucks up when your Windows VM is running), in my opinion, but it definitely helps with this until it is fixed.

Ledgem

macrumors 68020
Jan 18, 2008
Hawaii, USA
I'm using a Macbook Pro and haven't noticed this, but I haven't noticed it on my girlfriend's Macbook either (not sure what the graphic chipset on her system is though - it's a Mid-2007 Macbook). I disabled the graphics acceleration (for DirectX) on her WinXP virtual machine, though. I'm guessing you've tried that? (Hopefully it isn't essential for you to have that, and hopefully the VMWare Fusion team will get this resolved soon)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.