Fusion 3/Outlook 2007 Out Of Office errors

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by Lepre-con, Jan 25, 2010.

1. Lepre-con macrumors newbie

I'll try to provide as much detail as possible, but keep it simple. Running Fusion 3 (newest update) and XP Pro with Office 2007. Office connects to an Exchange 2007 server. Emails work great. However when attempting to access the OOF settings, I get an error "Your Out of Office settings cannot be displayed, because the server is currently unavailable. Try again later."

Google searches say this is a known issue with Outlook 2007 on an Exchange 2007 setup and that there are errors with AutoDiscovery (or something like that). I have talked to other's with Outlook 2007 and their OOF is working just fine (inhouse or through VPN), so the Exchange server settings are fine.

I think the problem is actually Fusion since it's not communicating with the Exchange server for the OOF settings. I don't quite understand how all of that works, sorry.

One suggestion was to change the network settings in Fusion from NAT to Bridged, however when I do that I lose all connections to the network. I have also set the MAC address on Fusion to that of the Mac with no change either.

As a test, I installed Office 2010 Beta and it's doing the same thing. Outlook 2003 apparently does not have this issue, but I haven't tested that yet on the Mac/Fusion.

Just to be sure, I downloaded every Windows/Office update to eliminate any configuration changes. Anyone else experienced this?

UPDATE: OK, if the system is on the network, the OOF works fine through Fusion, however if connected to VPN (using the built in client) it gives the above errors.

2. Lepre-con thread starter macrumors newbie

Semi-fix found

OK, it turns out the problem is caused by the VPN client built into the Mac OS X. Even though I had it configured as a Cisco IPSEC (as my company uses), it just couldn't beat out the real Cisco VPN client. Installed that and it works perfectly.

That's all good and well, but I would much rather use the built in client than a third party piece of software. I've noticed this also is an issue with VNC to the Mac going through VPN, but only using the built in client.

Any thoughts? Things I can change? I'm not against trying "hacks/edits" to the UNIX side if someone can guide me through it.