Fusion 3 Sucks (on 1st Gen Mac Pro running bootcamped 64-bit Win 7)

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by akadmon, Oct 28, 2009.

1. akadmon macrumors 68010

Check out the Fusion forums. I too throw in my-1. Under Fusion Aero is a joke! It brings back the (bad) memories of Virtual PC in the mid 90s.

Hopefully this will be fixed in the next 30 days, otherwise I'm not upgrading. I'll run Win 7 under Boot Camp for Office 2007, and Win 2K under Fusion 2.05 (yes, I'm going back to 2.05!) for Quicken.

2. ayeying macrumors 601

ayeying

I'm running VMWare Fusion 3 on my Rev C MacBook Air and it's running pretty smoothly. On my dad's iMac, it's also running Fusion 3 with a virtual Windows 7, dedicated 3GB out of total 6GB DDR2. We have no problems whatsoever, it's pretty speedy but Aero does slow it down a bit, especially on the air but it's not painfully slow.

3. akadmon thread starter macrumors 68010

I'm glad it works for you. For me it doesn't. Computers are complicated things, subject to many many variables. There is no such thing as "standard" behavior.

4. ayeying macrumors 601

ayeying

What problems are you experiencing anyways? If it's Aero, have you looked at the system requirements?

http://communities.vmware.com/docs/DOC-10959

5. akadmon thread starter macrumors 68010

6. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

7. Rad macrumors regular

Fusion 3 activation issues

Also running the same setup of Windows 7 Pro 64-bit in Fusion 3 on a 2006 Mac Pro. I do have lots of RAM - 12 GB, large fast hard drives and an upgrade video card - nVidia 8800. I am running Win 7 from a bootcamp partition. Although the overall performance of Win7 in Fusion is acceptable without much interface lag, it is nowhere are fast as in bootcamp. The real problem is activation - if I follow the official VMWare instructions and I get into a loop of activation and re-activation if I boot from bootcamp then use it in Fusion. I have not spent too much time with a true Fusion VM made from the bootcamp partition, but other than needed it's own activation, performance appears similar.