Fusion 3TB and Bootcamp

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by solomanii, Sep 18, 2013.

1. solomanii macrumors member

Hi all, I have a 27" 2013 iMAC (at least I bought it this year, not sure on exact model). It has a 3TB Fusion drive. Trying to use boot-camp to create a windows partition but I keep getting this error:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The other odd thing is I cant make the partition bigger. Its fixed at 20gb or 0gb. I have run permission check/repair as well as disk check which found no errors. I also have the latest version of OSX Mountain Lion so it should work.

I see these errors in the console. Saying there is not enough space when clearly there is (300gb free)

I am tempted to just create the partition in Disk Utility and then manually install Win 7. But hesitant to touch it if Boot Camp is complaining until I know more.

Open to other suggestions.

Thanks in advance.

2. Quackers macrumors 6502a

I'm not 100% sure but from what I've read Boot Camp uses a hybrid mbr partition table in conjunction with the GUID partition table.
    Sadly mbr is limited to 4 partitions and has difficulty booting from a drive bigger than 2TB.
    If I'm correct this is going to become a problem with these larger drives.

Maybe do some googling on that for confirmation.

3. chrfr macrumors 603

The situation with Boot Camp and 3TB disks is more complex than that, but it should work fine as long as the computer is on 10.8.3 or later, and be transparent to the end user.
    What the Boot Camp assistant does is to create a Core Storage volume– not unlike a Fusion drive, making sure the Windows partition is within the first 2.2TB of the disk, then making one Mac volume out of the remaining partitions on the disk.

----------

You may not have enough contiguous free space for the Boot Camp assistant to move the files around to make room for repartitioning. Do you have another disk you can use temporarily to copy off your data?

4. Quackers macrumors 6502a

5. solomanii thread starter macrumors member

I do and will try! Thanks. Actually will a defrag help by chance?

6. chrfr macrumors 603

It's possible. I've had mixed results when trying to get a Boot Camp partition created on a disk that's been used for a while.

7. solomanii thread starter macrumors member

Defrag and moving 500gb off didn't help. Defrag gave the same error. After moving files it actually partitioned but ran for a day before I killed it and gave up.

In the process of backing up and wiping it and then partitioning from the get go.

Will update further when done.

Thanks for your help.

8. Mike Boreham macrumors 65816

I don't think Bootcamp can be installed on a Fusion Drive. I know it can't on a RAID 0 volume, and while RAID and Fusion are quite different, they have the same characteristic that the volume is a combination of two physical drives appearing as a single logical volume.

Parallels is much better than most people think, and is completely compatible with FDs (I have Parallels on an FD).

EDIT....The above is completely incorrect....see

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT5639?viewlocale=en_US&locale=en_US

9. solomanii thread starter macrumors member

Yes. I was about to say since I just did it :)

I did have to wipe my machine and do the partition and setup on the raw build. I had to do this because after 6m of usng the iMac, even with 500g to spare, there wasn't enough contingous space to do the setup.