Fusion 4 Driving Me Nuts

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by Hrothgar, Dec 14, 2011.

1. Hrothgar macrumors 6502

Hi. I'm on, I guess, my fourth version of Fusion. Each one is slower than the last. I tried streaming a video in Explorer, and not only did it not work, but I pretty much knocked out my Fusion. I had to reboot my entire computer. I can't imagine trying to play a game on this.

When I installed Fusion, it didn't ask any questions about how I wanted to configure it. I've searched the VM site, and every document I find looks more like a treatise on computer science. Isn't there a simple set of instructions for how to configure this? I looked at the instructions for VMWare Tools -- and it starts by saying that it's for advanced users. I'm not one of those.

My computer is a 17"Macbook Pro. I've got 3 GB of 667 Mhz DDR2 SDRAM. A 500 gb hard drive that has over 300 gb of space. a 2.33 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo process.

Thank you in advance.

2. RedRaven571 macrumors 65816

RedRaven571

What version of Windows are you running and how much memory is allocated to it in Fusion? 3 GB RAM is pretty paltry by todays standards, especially running a VM. Are you running anything else besides Fusion at the same time?

3. MJL macrumors 6502a

This sounds much like being constrained by not enough memory. Vista likes 2 Gb assigned and Windows 7 x64 hums with 4 Gb. This means that you want in your computer 8 Gb.

Also assign two CPU's in VMware to be used by Windows. ( I assigned 2 CPU's and 3 Gb memory to be used by Windows ) In Windows minimize the virtual memory to 256 Mb.

With 3 Gb total memory in your computer you are better off by running Windows under bootcamp rather than as a Virtual Machine.