Fusion accessing a real hard drive?

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by hyram, Apr 19, 2010.

1. hyram macrumors regular

I've got Win7 loaded as a vm via Fusion (not bootcamped). And I'm trying to figure out a way to get it "see" a real NTFS hard drive partition? Any ideas?

2. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

Fusion or the Windows VM is accessing your HDD where the VM is stored onto.

Depending on the settings in Fusion, the VM is either stored in one file (small or big, depending what size you have given it) or several "small" files.

To find out what "file system" the VM uses internally why don't you look for yourself via Windows Explorer and open the "HDD" Properties of the C: drive (a right click on the "HDD" should show you some options to select from)?

3. hyram thread starter macrumors regular

Not exactly what I'm after.

I'd like to set up a partition (NTFS) that is outside of Fussion, but be able to have the Win7 VM access it.

4. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

Then download NTFS-3G drivers (the free version) and create a partition using Disk Utility.

Also use MRoogle to see if that topic might have come up.

Do you have any external HDD formatted in NTFS to see if you can access it via Fusion?

5. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

Is it an internal or external drive? I'm able to set up my external USB drive as a USB device inside Fusion, so it appears just like any other USB device.

6. hyram thread starter macrumors regular

Already doing this.

An external drive is no problem. But I'd like to get it to access a seperate partition on an internal drive.