Fusion and Boot Camp question

Discussion in 'macOS' started by ks-man, Apr 12, 2009.

1. ks-man macrumors 6502a

I have recently set up Boot Camp on my new iMac. If I install VM Fusion and set it up from my Boot Camp partition, can I access files using either BC or Fusion?

For example, I plan on running Microsoft Money, sometimes I would use it in Boot Camp but other times I would use it on Fusion. Would I have to install the software twice and each time copy the money file over from one to the other? I'm hoping that everything on Windows would be identical on Fusion and BC but I don't know if it works that way.

I guess an easier way to ask the question, if I download an internet file onto the desktop in VM Fusion, would it show up on the desktop when I load up Boot Camp and vice versa?

Thanks for the help.

2. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

Its identical. Install in one place and it shows up on the other.

3. InTheUnion macrumors regular

InTheUnion

You might want to reconsider this and try looking on the internet to confirm my problem.

It's just that when i tried to install Fusion over the top of boot camp, it replaced the Boot Camp drivers with VMware ones and so, when I booted my mac in Boot Camp, I couldn't move the cursor or anything. The only way I saw to solve the problem was to remove the windows partition entirely. This may have been a one-off incident but i think you should research it first.

4. tdgrn macrumors 6502

You must have done something terribly wrong, because I have my machine set up to utilize Boot Camp for games and resource intense applications, whereas if I just need a particular office feature ie Access, I will use VM Ware Fusion to access the Boot Camp partition and everything works wonderfully.

Your problem might have come when you installed Fusion. If you did not have the Boot Camp partition set up correctly then I could for-see something like this happening, but a new feature in Fusion is that when you boot directly into Windows via Boot Camp, it disables the virtual machine drivers.

5. InTheUnion macrumors regular

InTheUnion

Yea most likely :) I was very new to Mac OS then but I cant see how i can have set boot camp up incorrectly. I mean, it's so easy...:confused:

I thought it was a good idea to give a warning though.