Fusion and large iPhoto...

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Susansmac, Apr 15, 2014.

1. Susansmac macrumors newbie

I'm still trying to decide between a 1 TB SSD and the 1TB Fusion. One concern I had is using my iPhoto on the fusion. My iPhoto is around 75 G and growing. If I access it many times, will it be moved to the SSD, taking much of the space up?

Or does iPhoto remain on the HD?

Anyone with a large iPhoto have a problem with the Fusion?

2. ApfelKuchen macrumors 68020

I have a large Aperture library, but Aperture uses the same library structure....

Basically, it's a non-issue with Fusion. Fusion does not move entire libraries or even entire files to the SSD portion of the drive, it moves only those data blocks that are frequently accessed. So, if you're actively working with 100 images and the rest are sitting idle? Fusion will load only those parts of the Aperture code and image files you're actually working with into SSD, the rest will stay on the HDD.

Fusion manages the SSD + HDD as a single entity - on a routine basis you won't know what's on which "disk," any more than you'd routinely track what's in RAM. You can't decide what goes where - which in terms of efficiency is actually a good thing, IMHO.

What many (or most) computer users don't appreciate is that this is normal for any HDD, in the sense that it's unusual to have related items stored together in contiguous physical locations on the disk. The file system keeps track of where the bits and pieces are located, fetches and reassembles as needed. The principal difference with Fusion is that the "disk" is spanned across two drives, and the OS adds the decision of, "what's needed most frequently" to the normal "where does this go?" decision-making.

Considering the expense of a 1TB SSD? I'd get a 3TB Fusion (well actually, I have a 3TB Fusion...) - with Fusion, the more data you can keep on the Mac's internal drive, the more data will benefit from having Fusion (Fusion does absolutely nothing to speed-up files that are located on an external/network drive).