Fusion and Parallels have competition

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by ChrisA, Jul 10, 2008.

1. ChrisA macrumors G4

Looks like both Parallels and Fusion just got some serious compitition. Sun is giving away a product that does about the same thing. It's free and runs on Mac OS X, Windows, Linux and Solaris. It's also open source so you can expect fixes and new versions to come out frequently. I just thought I'd pass this on and let others check it out

Here is the download page
    https://cds.sun.com/is-bin/INTERSHOP.enfinity/WFS/CDS-CDS_SMI-Site/en_US/-/USD/ViewProductDetail-Start?ProductRef=innotek-1.6-G-F@CDS-CDS_SMI

Here is some background
    http://www.serverwatch.com/virtualization/article.php/3752946

2. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

Virtualbox has been around for a little while, but it is no where near either parallels or fusion in stability or features. Maybe one day, but not now.

3. portent macrumors 6502a

That's true.

But it blows them away on price! (At least for personal use.)

4. kkat69 macrumors 68020

kkat69

Yah, xVM has been out since last year. Only via recent updates to the software have given some spotlight appearance.

Not a true competitor atm. They've still got quite a bit of room to go.

VMWare has been in the market for quite some time, they're pros at it. Parallel's are the new guys, and Sun is more the bastard newborn in regards to something like this on a widescale level.

Opensource is great and hey, who doesn't like 'free' but for something like that, I'd rather pay for a product from a company that has had MANY years of experience putting virtual machines together. Besides, the cost of VMWare is worth it to have less headaches.

5. zweigand macrumors 6502a

zweigand

For basic windoze use VirtualBox is great. ..I used it in beta. I now use VMWare Fusion.

VirtualBox isn't nearly as refined as the other two solutions ..but it's definitely something I'd recommend. (If I didn't get VMWare as a Christmas present I'd still be using it!) ;)

6. ManWithhat macrumors regular

7. todd2000 macrumors 68000

Should come in handy for the very little things I use Windows for. I hate rebooting. Can it use my Bootcamp Partition? And how the heck am I supposed to extract this thing? It downloads a file named

VirtualBox-1.6.2-OSX_x86.dmg.bz2, I double click it and it extracts a file named VirtualBox-1.6.2-OSX_x86.dmg.bz2.cpgz, I double click the second file, and it makes a file named VirtualBox-1.6.2-OSX_x86.dmg.bz2, I double click that, and it makes another file named VirtualBox-1.6.2-OSX_x86.dmg.bz2.cpgz, and so on, and so on. It's an endless loop, and never gets down to just a DMG file?

EDIT: Nevermind I got it, for some reason it only works right if you DL it with the Sun Download Manager.

8. liquidh2o macrumors 6502

oi! Free is good :) Thanks for bringing this to my attention, now I can finally load windows on here the way I want to

9. todd2000 macrumors 68000

Any Idea how to install compatible Video Card Drivers for my Radeon X1600, so that I can actually get a 1440x900 Resolution in Windows? I ran the entire bootcamp driver setup, and it seems like everything worked, except the Video Card. I found the ATI drivers on the Leopard Install disc, but they don't seem to work?