Fusion Drive de-conversion.

Discussion in 'Mac mini' started by iamsen47, May 6, 2017.

1. iamsen47 macrumors regular

I've got a 2012 with a 125Gb SSD and 1Tb HDD that I made into a Fusion Drive. While the HDD hasn't failed yet, I've noticed that I can hear scratchy noises coming from it so now's probably a good time to give my Mini a proper overhaul. I'll probably replace both drives with a single 1Tb SSD.

The OS has accumulated quite a bit of cruft over the years so rather I'd rather do a clean install than restoring from a backup.

I've not quite decided what to do with the older SSD yet. If I were to leave it in, would I have to do a a Fusion Drive de-conversion before unplugging the HDD?

I assume I don't have to do anything if I'm simply replacing both with a single SSD.

2. Celerondon macrumors 6502a

Celerondon

I have never broken a Fusion Drive in that fashion but I would certainly prepare the SSD for use while it is still installed in a running system. Without the HDD the SSD will simply be a broken volume. I say that you should backup everything and then fix it before you break it. :rolleyes:

3. teksurv macrumors regular

The assumption would be that you would format both SSDs as independent drives in Disk Utility.

4. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

When you remove the hard drive, and start back up the Fusion drive is going to be "broken" all by itself. If you want to leave the old SSD in, just use DU to format it again and you will be all set.