Fusion Drive For DAW Work

Discussion in 'iMac' started by fastlanephil, May 25, 2013.

1. fastlanephil macrumors 6502a

fastlanephil

I'm wondering if anyone has partitioned their iMac 3 TB Fusion drive into three or four partitions for something like this.

1. System & Applications.

2. Sample Libraries.

3. Recording.

4. Small Boot Camp partition with Windows 7 or maybe 8.1 for a few Windows only cool apps.

I'm thinking this would work well even though they are not separate drives because of the Fusion drive's speed.

I would keep my 2011 27"2.7 i5 iMac for a MDI over LAN slave and I think I could also use it as a second monitor using Target Display Mode. Apple states that this will disable the FW and USB ports on the targeted Mac but there is no mention of problems using the ethernet port but I'll run this one by an Apple tech first.

2. rkaufmann87 macrumors 68000

rkaufmann87

Partitioning a hd serves no purpose other than slowing down the system. The only partitions you would need is 1 for MS Windows created with Boot Camp and the standard OS X partition. It's really that simple.

3. fastlanephil thread starter macrumors 6502a

fastlanephil

Yes, that makes sense.

Thanks.

4. geta macrumors 6502a

Partitioning wont help in your case (maybe only one for Windows),
    I would go with 2 separate HDD's instead of the fusion drive, one for the OSX and apps (SSD) and one for the rest (HDD)...

5. fastlanephil thread starter macrumors 6502a

fastlanephil

That's a good solution but I don't think it's possible with the 2012 iMacs right now. OWC won't do it. Glue!

I'm going to wait for the Pro release and look at my $$ options then.

6. eduardrw macrumors 6502

If you want to go iMac I would suggest to get a 512GB SSD (or bigger - budget permitting) as the working disk. Then keep your projects and other data on an external disk. With Thunderbolt/USB3 hard disks you have practically the same speed as for an internal HDD.

7. fastlanephil thread starter macrumors 6502a

fastlanephil

That's is another option. I'll have to decide which way to go once the new Pro Mac option is here also. A maxed out iMac with something like a TB Pegasus R4($840 at CTI) or a two port TB dual HD external should do me for quite a while.