Fusion Drive for iMac

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Monkeyshine, Apr 20, 2015.

1. Monkeyshine macrumors newbie

This is my current system:

Model Name: iMac
    Model Identifier: iMac12,1
    Processor Name: Intel Core i5
    Processor Speed: 2.7 GHz
    Number of Processors: 1
    Total Number of Cores: 4
    L2 Cache (per Core): 256 KB
    L3 Cache: 6 MB
    Memory: 4 GB
    Boot ROM Version: IM121.0047.B1F
    SMC Version (system): 1.71f22
    Serial Number (system): DCPGM20EDHJN
    Hardware UUID: 90C27E75-EE9C-5418-8CD1-F98BF61B1AA4

I want to go to a lager Hard Drive with Fusion which is recommended

2. Pollewop macrumors newbie

Pollewop

Last weekend I installed a 3,5" Seagate 2TB SSHD with 8 GB Flash Memory in my late 2007 iMac (A1224, EMC 2133, iMac7,1), and I found that the system speed was greatly improved.

It's very easy to DIY. It takes less than hour.

I'm very again with my 2007 iMac. No urge any more to replace it...:)

3. marzer macrumors 65816

marzer

A Fusion Drive is composed of two drives, a HHD and a SSD. Your machine has a second SATA port that permitted an optional SSD to be added at the factory. If you don't have an SSD installed already it'd be easy to do so to create a Fusion drive. What kind of storage do you have in your machine now? How large is it? How much more storage do you want?

If you have the standard 1TB drive that came with that machine, consider at least a 2 to 3 TB hard drive and add a SSD to the machine to create a Fusion drive. At least a 128GB if price is a concern otherwise a 256GB or larger for better performance. If you can afford a 512GB or larger SSD, you may want to consider not even creating Fusion drive and just running the drives separately (SSD For OS and apps, HHD for data) for best performance.

4. Monkeyshine thread starter macrumors newbie

How do you add sad to machine? Is there something I can look up on youtube to get an idea. What is the approx cost, & where did you purchase e the 2--3 TB drives

5. Monkeyshine thread starter macrumors newbie

6. rayward macrumors 68000

Go to OWC. They have kits and video walk-thrus to get it done.

As soon as my last piece of kit comes in (an internal, slot-loading Blu Ray), I'm going to yank the HDD and SuperDrive from my iMac, and replace them with an HDD, an SSD and the BD drive. I figured it would be best to get it all done in one go rather than having to keep opening the machine.