Fusion Drive for MBP late 2011?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by lpuerto, Jul 8, 2014.

1. lpuerto macrumors newbie

lpuerto

Hi!

I am about to install a 120 gb SSD into my old MBP superdrive slot.

Right now I have a 750 gb HDD and I am not doing this to et more space, I roughly use the half of the HDD, although for boost performance.

However, I really do not know if it will be wise create a fusion drive unit. I think in relation of the confort it is the best solution, you only see one unid and the system handles all management details.

Yet, I have been reading some forum post, here and there, about people having problems in their fusion drives after some months of create it. Besides, seems that the battery life drops considerably.

For that reason I am considering manage the storage by myself using symbolic links and store the large and briefly used media files in the hdd and system and apps in the SSD. Like in this configuration: http://mattgemmell.com/using-os-x-with-an-ssd-plus-hdd-setup/

Anyhow, can anyone tell me their experience in a MBP with a fusion drive?

Thanks!

2. innominato5090 macrumors 6502

innominato5090

I've set up one for my old 2010 MacBook Pro and it works flawlessly! using a 120GB SSD + 320 GB mechanical drive. It goes without saying that you should have a solid backup strategy to mitigate eventual issues.

3. lpuerto thread starter macrumors newbie

lpuerto

Time Capsule

I have a time capsule of 2tb and I backup with time machine every hour... so I think I have a pretty good configuration concerning backup.

4. niteflyr macrumors 6502a

15" and 17" 2011 MBP's have had issues with SATA III drives in the optical bay. If this applies to you, place the SSD in the main bay and the original HDD in the optical bay, fusion or otherwise.

5. lpuerto thread starter macrumors newbie

lpuerto

i am not going to install myself... it is at the repairing shop at this very moment.

It had the issue related with the discrete graphic card and the logic board, so I take advantage of the situation and asked to install it at the same time they change the logic board.

I guess they will check the issue... but thanks for the suggestion. I will ask them to take of this.