Fusion Drive: Frame Drops during sustained captures...

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Dylanhc, Dec 26, 2012.

1. Dylanhc, Dec 26, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 26, 2012

Dylanhc macrumors newbie

Hi All

I hope this is the correct place to post.

I am upgrading from my trusty 2007 iMac to the new Late 2012 iMac for a number of reasons, primarily my desire to speed up home video work (wife and 2 kids).

I was keen on the 3TB Fusion drive however the comment in Apples FAQ for the Mac Mini regarding frame drops on sustained video files has me petrified the new iMac won't allow me to import my High Definition home movies. I have been to my local Genius bar and they are reluctant to comment until they have used the technology more (disapointing). my current iMac is dead and I want to purchase asap.

I use iMovie, each home movie is generally no more than 30 minutes however some go for an hour (kids opening presents from Santa etc). In reading various reviews it looks like a cache limitation in the drive construction (this is a technical as I get).

The last thing I want is to spend the money on a new iMac only to have issues with the core feature I am looking forward to the most.

There seem to be "NO" user reviews of the Fusion drive for video import or editing yet and I was hoping someone here may have first hand experience.

Thanks in advance for reading.

Regards

Dylan

2. chfilm macrumors 65816

chfilm

I wouldn't stop from buying it because of rumors like that.. In the worst of all cases u just attach an external drive via USB 3 or thunderbolt and you'll be fine! Nobody somewhat professional captures video directly to the internal he'd anyways..:)

3. iVoid macrumors 65816

Keep in mind the Mini uses 5400 rpm laptop drives.

The 3TB HD in the 27" iMac is 7200 RPM, so it'll be faster if it's writing to the HD.

Lots of different stuff in the 27" iMac vs the Mini, so I wouldn't worry about rumors like that.