Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mightyspambot

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 3, 2012
Hey there,
I didn't know where to put my question/problem - hope I'm right here.

I installed a new SSD and a new HDD in my Mac mini (2011) and merged them to a Fusion Drive. The performance (booting up, starting applications, etc.) is great. But it seems that I have problems with permanent spin downs/spin ups of the the HDD.

It seems that when there is no access on the HDD, the drive spins down. But - for example during surfing in the internet (open a new tab,...) - OSX wakes the drive up again. This lasts for 15-20s and then the drive spins down again. For additional 5-10s,... and the procedure starts from the begin.

Is this the usual behavior of the Fusion Drive?

Bye, mightyspambot

spinko

macrumors regular
Sep 16, 2003
N hemisphere
Hey there,
I didn't know where to put my question/problem - hope I'm right here.

I installed a new SSD and a new HDD in my Mac mini (2011) and merged them to a Fusion Drive. The performance (booting up, starting applications, etc.) is great. But it seems that I have problems with permanent spin downs/spin ups of the the HDD.

It seems that when there is no access on the HDD, the drive spins down. But - for example during surfing in the internet (open a new tab,...) - OSX wakes the drive up again. This lasts for 15-20s and then the drive spins down again. For additional 5-10s,... and the procedure starts from the begin.

Is this the usual behavior of the Fusion Drive?

Bye, mightyspambot

I'm getting the same behavior. The internal HDD spins-up constantly. It is especially noticeable in Safari which locks down for a couple of seconds until the HDD has reached its operating speed. Just happened now, while I was writing.:confused:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.