Fusion Drive iMac Late 2013 SSD temperature

Discussion in 'iMac' started by EricDraven, Feb 1, 2014.

1. EricDraven, Feb 1, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 1, 2014

EricDraven macrumors newbie

Hi all,

Can you share your SSD (Fusion Drive) temperature in iStat Menu? I wonder what is the operation range temperature of Apple SSD.Mine always around 36*C-41*C. Is it normal? Im living in SE ASIA where almost hot in a whole year.

Thanks in advance.

2. Fatboy71, Feb 2, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 2, 2014

Fatboy71 macrumors 65816

Fatboy71

A lot will depend on the temperature of your location too, I'm in the UK and its around 18C in the room I have my iMac in.

Based on you living in a hot country, I would say that the temperature range you've mentioned is normal.

In iStats my temperatures are as follows:

[​IMG]

3. EricDraven thread starter macrumors newbie

Do you use bootcamp to install windows? Cuz when im on windows 8 (bootcamp) I monitor the temp of SSD always around 5x-6x *C. I cant understand this number cuz windows 8 is installed in HDD portion, it also means that SSD is not used. So, what really makes it hot or its just a fake number !?

4. quagmire macrumors 603

quagmire

Do you only get the SSD temps if you have a Fusion Drive? As I have just a SSD and there is no temp for it in istat menu's.

5. EricDraven thread starter macrumors newbie

Mine show both SSD and HDD, the HDD temp is ok with me. If youre using a late 2013 iMac, try update istat menu :)

6. quagmire macrumors 603

quagmire

That is because you have a Fusion. I went with a pure 512 GB SSD. It shows the power draw in volts and amps of the SSD, but not the temperature.

And I have iStat Menu 4.10 which is the latest.

7. SaSaSushi macrumors 68040

SaSaSushi

The only difference between the Fusion Drive and pure SSDs is that the SSD and the HDD are combined into a logical volume.

iStat Menus doesn't know from that. It is analyzing the system at the hardware level. There is no reason it shouldn't be showing your temps too.

By the way, I agree the OP's SSD temps are nothing to be concerned with. Mine are around 30-31°C with ambient room temps around 18-19°C now.

8. quagmire macrumors 603

quagmire

I don't know why it isn't showing up. I downloaded a trial of an SSD health application( forgot the name of it) and it had the temperature on it so I think it is a iStat Menu issue for whatever reason vs sensor is broken on my iMac.....

9. SaSaSushi macrumors 68040

SaSaSushi

Try manually downloading the 4.20 update. I noticed it was available this morning on Macupdate even though when checking in the app with 4.10 it said "No updates available"

The release notes mention support for the Late 2013 iMac, among others.

www.macupdate.com/app/mac/25230/istat-menus

10. quagmire macrumors 603

quagmire

That did it. Currently reading 91 F or 33 C.

11. EricDraven thread starter macrumors newbie

One more question:

How to use your Fusion Drive wisely? As we all know, the Fusion Drive only allow us to create ONE more partition which I use it for BOOTCAMP. So, I wonder is there a way to create one more partition for saving all DATA cuz i dont know when will my Fusion Drive die, or when I need to restore, reinstall OS, all data is gone.

Regards,

12. SaSaSushi macrumors 68040

SaSaSushi

Backing up the data on your Fusion Drive to a separate partition on the same drive would defeat the purpose in the case of a hardware failure. My best advice is to get a nice USB3 external HD and clone and/or run Time Machine on it.

I do this as well as a complete system backup via the cloud to Crashplan.

13. EricDraven thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for your advice.
    I wonder what size is best? I have a 1TB Fusion Drive so I have to get a 1TB USB3 external HD?

14. SaSaSushi macrumors 68040

SaSaSushi

The Fusion Drive is a 128GB SSD and a 1TB HDD combined into a logical volume. If you were ever to fill both completely (and you probably wouldn't want to for performance considerations), it wouldn't fit on a single 1TB HDD.

I would recommend at least a 2TB for backup. I currently have one 3TB HD in a USB3 cradle with two slots so I can easily swap disks in and out if they fail or my storage requirements change.

If you got a 2TB or larger drive for backup, you could set it up for one clone partition and the rest for Time Machine.

15. Fatboy71 macrumors 65816

Fatboy71

I have a 1TB Fusion Drive. Basically I would go with at least a 2TB USB 3 external hard drive. But basically go for the largest capacity you can afford as this will allow you to have longer backup history.

I got a G Drive USB 3 4TB that I use for my backups and I still have plenty of room on it even 12 months after getting it.