Fusion drive issues

Discussion in 'iMac' started by RobNYC, Aug 10, 2014.

1. RobNYC macrumors 6502

So I recently did a restore from a time machine backup. Ever since I did that yesterday suddenly the SSD from my iMac is showing up on the desktop as a separate drive. Does anyone know how to fix it so it's no longer doing that and working properly? When I checked it out it's empty. My understanding was the OS was supposed to keep files that were used most often on there for quicker access but it was supposed to be happening in the background.

2. marzer macrumors 65816

marzer

It would help to know the circumstances surrounding the need to restore. Sounds like somehow your drives were logically disassociated as a Fusion drive? What led to you restoring the machine? Corruption, formatting, etc.? Did you do anything particular to the machine prior to the restore? Did you have restore from a boot disk or the recovery partition?

If you bring up disk utility do you get a message pop-up telling you the drives are mis configured? I think it gives "ignore" and "fix" options.

3. RobNYC thread starter macrumors 6502

I was trying out Yosemite but I had a lot of airplay issues with it so I went back to Mavericks. I did a full restore to the last backup I had before I switched the OS. I wasn't having any drive issues before that.

Disk first aid isn't showing any issues. They're just showing up as two separate drives now.

4. RobNYC thread starter macrumors 6502

Never mind. I fixed it. I had to restart in restore mode and then open up disk utility from there and that let me fix it. I then just did a restore again from time machine and it's all working now.