Fusion Drive NAND Sizes

Discussion in 'iMac' started by adamjackson, Mar 22, 2016.

1. adamjackson macrumors 65816

via Wikipedia:

[​IMG]

-----

I am upgrading from a late 2012 iMac 1TB Fusion Drive that appears to have had a 128GB NAND (TIL). I was going to buy a 3TB Fusion Drive and this certainly makes the decision easier that the 1TB actually had a NAND reduction from 128GB to 24GB 3 years later (WTF apple)?

Either way, looks like the 3TB option has 128GB. Any way for me to add a new drive to my iMac w/ a larger NAND or is 128 the largest?

2. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 603

Well they are separate drives so you could just get the HDD replaced with a 3tb, also I think that that model has a SATA connected SSD so you can put any SSD in you like.

3. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

The Mac is sealed so its not an easy process, but check out ifixit.com and they have a guide and the tools to upgrade your mac. Personally, I'd not do it while its under warranty.

As for the Fusion drive, its not a single unit, but two separate drives, that are "fused" together or to put it another way joined logically so they appear as a single unit. What makes this different then say a RAID configuration is that OS will decide what data blocks go on the faster flash ram, vs the slower hard drive.

4. adamjackson thread starter macrumors 65816

ah, I honestly thought Apple was using drives like this -

http://www.amazon.com/Seagate-Deskt...ybrid drive&qid=1458923747&ref_=sr_1_1&sr=8-1

Seagate 2TB Desktop Gaming SSHD(Solid State Hybrid Drive

Where it's an SSD inside of the HDD and reports to the disk manager as a single drive. I didn't know the 128GB NAND was on the logic board and OS X was looking at it as a single logical drive. Good to know.

5. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Initially I thought the same thing but those are hybrid drives.