Fusion Drive Noise?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by jinyoungkim7, Jan 28, 2016.

1. jinyoungkim7 macrumors regular

jinyoungkim7

Just received my brand new 27in 5k iMac with 3.3ghz i5, 2tb fusion drive, 395 graphics card, 8 (soon to be 16) gb ram. It seems like there is a fan or spinning sort of sound that is fairly audible even while doing nothing. Even while I leave the iMac idle the sound is there. I only filled it up with around 20gb. Is the fusion drive supposed to be this loud or are your computers silent while in idle?

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

My iMac (M395/2 TB flavor) is whisper quiet, I really don't notice any sound.

3. Strider64 macrumors 6502

Strider64

Hmm, I been playing Fallout 4 on the Windows side and I haven't notice any sound (which I find a little unusual). Maybe you have an application running in the background that you are unaware of?

4. Adam552 macrumors 6502

My Late 2012 iMac makes scratching noises all night, so it would sound normal to me! :D

5. dimme, Jan 31, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 17, 2016

dimme macrumors 65816

Late 2015 5k iMac with 2TB fusion drive and very quiet.

6. mstrk macrumors newbie

mstrk

I have the same problem with my 1 TB fusion drive iMac. Did you sloved the problem?

7. jinyoungkim7 thread starter macrumors regular

jinyoungkim7

Hey I never really solved the problem and I've taken it into the Apple Store and they said it is supposed to be like that. I think I was overthinking it though. I never really notice it anymore. It might not even be the fusion drive, to be honest.

8. ApfelKuchen macrumors 68030

It won't be the "Fusion Drive" as such. Fusion uses a Flash drive (which will be totally silent), and a regular spinning HDD, which will be no noisier than any other spinning drive. More likely, you're hearing the fan.

I have a Late 2013 27" iMac with Fusion. The only significant sound comes not from the iMac, but from the external drive I use for Time Machine backups. Granted, my hearing isn't what it used to be...

Sometimes, your work area can amplify the sound made by your computer and/or external drives - a desktop can sometimes function as a resonator. If that's happening, sometimes moving the stuff around a bit will change the nature of the sound.

9. mstrk macrumors newbie

mstrk

First I thought that it was the fan. So I brought it to the apple store for a repair and they said to me that there was nothing to repair, the machine was "perfect".

After two days I brought it again and I said that it was the fusion drive, it must be. Because it was fairly audible. And they didn't even accept to look at it for a second time and they said that all the Fusion Drive iMac's the same "problem" had.

I don't know what to do but I think that the only solution is to use it with music :)

(Sorry for my bad English, greetings from Brussels)

10. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

It might be that the hard drive's bearings need to get seated. I know my hard drive is fairly quiet, but I can see apple not considering it an issue. The computer, specifically hard drive is operating as expected, though I can certainly empathize about how annoying a sound could be.

11. kschendel macrumors 6502a

Drive noise is a bit of a pot-luck thing. I have a Mac Pro (4,1) which was basically silent new. After a year, one drive died, and I replaced it with the same model bought from Apple -- and it was a lot noisier. (Seek noise, fortunately, not so much spin noise.) Now, 6 years later, I replaced all the drives with new WD Blacks and the ones I got are close to dead silent -- yet many of the online WD Black reviews complain about how noisy they are! One of the two new WD Blacks has some audible bearing hiss, luckily not a problem when the box is closed up; the other is inaudible even when my ear is next to it.

I'm afraid that you most likely got a drive that's at the upper end of noise tolerance. Your best bet is to not notice it any more. :) If you still have apple care, second best is to ensure that it fails (!) and get a replacement.

12. yugioh5d macrumors member

Noise in HDD could varies and depend on background noise. If you are in a completely silent room, then I believe there should be some noise coming out of it.

13. mstrk macrumors newbie

mstrk