Fusion Drive on 2013 rMBP Models?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Funkmasta, Jan 26, 2013.

1. Funkmasta macrumors member

I'm in the camp that can't decide whether to wait for the 2nd gen rMBP 15" in June or bite the bullet and upgrade now.

Either way it is going to be a huge upgrade from my current 07 MBP, but the thing still works so if I can wait 5 more months and get a Fusion Drive and a 2GB graphics card I would rather wait.

Any thoughts or info on Haswell's graphics cards and the likelihood of a Fusion Drive in the rMBP?

2. simsaladimbamba

Highly unlikely, since there is no room for a 2.5" or 1.5" platter based HDD in there, unless the battery or something else gets smaller. The MacBook Pro with Retina Display will not have a Fusion drive or platter based HDD in it, it will be all flash storage.

3. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

The issue is cost and drive bays. The cost of rMBPs and the space means its not really a viable option. Fusion drives (SSD + Hard drives) makes a lot of sense with desktops, not so much in laptops.

The cMBP could handle it if they drop the optical drive and replace it with a hard drive but tbh I think that's not going to happen

4. Stetrain macrumors 68040

Doubt it. Space is already constrained, and I don't see Apple moving back to spinning hard drives after going all solid-state.

Fusion drive is a great solution for desktops, but I think 100% solid-state storage is where Apple is going (and which the exception of the non-retina MBP, has already gone).

5. tann macrumors 68000

I believe that the rMBP's will forever be filled exclusively with the flash memory. They just don't have enough room (as they are) for anything else!

As flash memory gets cheaper their capacity will also increase.