Fusion drive on a Macbook Pro

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by BookEmDanno, Mar 20, 2013.

1. BookEmDanno macrumors member

BookEmDanno

I'm thinking of trying to install, in my MBP, the Fusion drive that is available as an option for the Mac Mini.

Has anyone tried this or has knowledge that this might or might not work on an MBP?

Regards and Mahalo!

2. Stetrain macrumors 68040

A fusion drive is not a single drive. It is two drives, an SSD and a normal hard drive that are combined in software.

In the non-retina MBPs you can replace the optical (DVD) drive with a bracket that allows you to install a second hard drive. Then you can buy a 2.5" SSD and install it in addition to the existing hard drive, and set up a fusion drive using the two.

3. jamesr19 macrumors 6502

For MBP your best bet is a Seagate Hybrid drive if you need the harddrive capacity too. They have 8GB of SSD and 750GB of HDD. In the UK eBuyer have been selling them for £80. These Hybrid drives have been around for a while, Apple has just done a great job of marketing the technology.

If the capacity isn't a worry, then I'd really recommend a SATA III 256GB SSD. I use OCZ Vertex in my desktop. They're lightning quick, just keep only a few movies on it and used an external drive instead.

4. Stetrain macrumors 68040

Fusion drive isn't really the same as an all-in-one hybrid drive. Apple uses a completely separate 128GB SSD, and it combines the total space of the two drives to create the new combined capacity. The big difference is that the SSD space is enough to hold the entire OS and frequently used applications, whereas a hybrid drive only has enough flash memory to cache some frequently used files.