Fusion drive or 16 Gb RAM?

Discussion in 'Mac mini' started by Itogator, Oct 17, 2014.

1. Itogator macrumors member

I'm leaning towards the $699 model. Is you could only choose 1, is it better to upgrade the RAM or go with the fusion drive? Are either upgrades worth it? This machine will mostly be used for general computing and home movie editing on iMovie.

Thanks

2. B1ueB1aze macrumors member

Personally, I'd go with the Fusion Drive. For home video editing, 8GB or RAM should be enough.

3. Ridley macrumors regular

I am going to get that too. Fusion drive, no contest in my opinion. Plus I just posted in the other thread I don't believe the soldered ram yet. It's possible but I'd like a screen shot to verify. There are a number of contradicting reports right now.

----------

Also fusion drive is a large part of why I want a mac. Otherwise I would prob build a windows machine

4. fa8362 macrumors 65816

If you believe the sun is going to rise tomorrow, then you should believe the RAM is soldered.

5. loud0g40oz macrumors member

Ram upgrade without question. Max out now what you can't change later (RAM). Assuming it's soldered of course.

6. Cave Man macrumors 604

Cave Man

Neander Valley, Germany; just outside Duesseldorf
    Either way, you could build a hackintosh with twice the power for the same money.

7. ElectronGuru macrumors 65816

I would max the ram (if locked), get a small SSD and then add space externally as needed. Plan B would be getting the spinner and swapping out for 2 ssd in a raid.

8. Itogator thread starter macrumors member

Do you mean add an internal ssd drive? At this point wouldn't I be better off having apple add both the RAM and fusion drive from the get go? Would this mini 2.6 16 GB and fusion for $1,100 be worth the price? Thanks

9. starfoxx macrumors newbie

My question is this:

2.6 + Fusion + 16GB - $1099

VS.

2.8 (fusion standard) +16GB - $1199

To anyone with knowledge of these i5 CPUs: is the bump to the 2.8 worth the extra $100?

10. Itogator thread starter macrumors member

Good question. I'd like to know this as well.

11. fathergll macrumors 6502a

Yep, max out the ram...no contest here. SSDs will always be dropping in price so no rush on that.

If you couldn't upgrade the harddrive then I would go with the fusion.