Fusion Drive or VRAM more important?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by xtwentyseven, May 16, 2014.

1. xtwentyseven macrumors member

I'm looking to get a new or refurbished 2013 27" iMac. I'm limited in budget and it looks like I may have to choose between the 1TB Fusion drive and the Upgraded Video Card with 2GB VRAM.

I plan to use the iMac for video editing in FCP X as well as some Photoshop and Aperture editing. I use Multi-cam in FCP X. I have a USB 3.0 external HDD for storing video, so I'm wondering if that makes the better video card more important, but I've read that the Fusion drive is amazing. I would love to be able to do both, but I'm already over budget just to get one.

Any recommendations? Real world experience would be helpful too.

Other useful info: I'm planning to buy the 8GB RAM and upgrade myself when I can afford to, eventually maxing out. I'm currently on a 2008 20" iMac (6GB RAM) that isn't technically supported by FCP X, but it does work. I expect either model to work worlds better than what I'm used to.

2. garycurtis macrumors 6502

I've got a Late 2013 27" used primarily for image editing. I shoot only stills. I use Aperture. It took some serious investigation, but I learned that that the computer uses both the CPU and the GPU to execute Aperture processes.

The GPU is used to build the Jpeg previews needed ( even though the Camera Jpegs are already imported). CPU power and speed are needed for browsing and editing RAW files. The VRAM is much more necessary for Video than for still files.

Having RAM is important too. My computer has the trapdoor in the back for user-installion of RAM chips. I've got only the 8Gb needed. But I am more than satisfied with the speed of Aperture. You might want to get get on a Final Cut forum and ask your questions. Video is a different ballgame than still.