Fusion Drive or VRAM more important?

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by xtwentyseven, May 16, 2014.

1. xtwentyseven macrumors member

I'm looking to get a new or refurbished 2013 27" iMac. I'm limited in budget and it looks like I may have to choose between the 1TB Fusion drive and the Upgraded Video Card with 2GB VRAM.

I plan to use the iMac for video editing in FCP X as well as some Photoshop and Aperture editing. I use Multi-cam in FCP X. I have a USB 3.0 external HDD for storing video, so I'm wondering if that makes the better video card more important, but I've read that the Fusion drive is amazing. I would love to be able to do both, but I'm already over budget just to get one.

Any recommendations? Real world experience would be helpful too.

Other useful info: I'm planning to buy the 8GB RAM and upgrade myself when I can afford to, eventually maxing out. I'm currently on a 2008 20" iMac (6GB RAM) that isn't technically supported by FCP X, but it does work. I expect either model to work worlds better than what I'm used to.

2. e1me5 macrumors regular

e1me5

It depends from what kind of video you are editing. But I really recommend you to go for the video card. FCPX uses it almost all the time for things like rendering. It will benefit you more, since it will allow to the iMac to last more years. And since you have an external hard drive for storing your video then you are just fine.
    You can save some money and buy an ssd to replace the Hard drive of the iMac in the future. But you can't replace the video card. :)

3. ChrisA macrumors G4

You can always upgrade the disk to SSD later but you can't upgrade the video.

Get the full 16GB of ram as soon as you can, this matters more than anything else. If the iMac is slow you can always edit proxy media, even your old iMac will run well doing that.