Fusion Drive setup performance (mid-2012 macbook pro)

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by calvincty, Apr 18, 2013.

1. calvincty macrumors member

calvincty

Hi,
    Yesterday just received 120GB SSD Electra 6G from OWC, and installed into optical bay and setup fusion drive (coreStorage).

Anyway everything seems good, application launching quite ok, but when I run disk test (BlackMagic) it only hits 140MB/s write & 190MB/s read. I thought it at least can hit 400MB/s for read/write?

Or should I remove the fusion drive setup and use SSD alone?

Screenshot: http://calvincty.clarify-it.com/d/lmfezt

2. yusukeaoki macrumors 68030

yusukeaoki

Why not just use the SSD for boot and apps and other drive for storage?

3. Orlandoech macrumors 68040

Orlandoech

I agree.

OP,

I have some SSD Guides and DIY Fusion Drive Guides in my sig. They may be of some help to you, not too sure.

4. calvincty, Apr 19, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 19, 2013

calvincty thread starter macrumors member

calvincty

Hmmm, should I just put SSD alone as OS and app running? Current fusion drive setup actually can easily notice performance upgrade.

But the issue when I run black magic it didn't run as expected, and even it goes to 20MB/s but this is when I'm copying file from my old USB 2.0 drive .

And I did try to close all application and left only black magic to do stress test, but no luck the read speed never go above 200MB/s

So I'm not so sure how to measure the disk performance, quite confuse of that :)

5. Orlandoech macrumors 68040

Orlandoech

That is normal, considering the USB2.0 HDD is a HUGE bottle neck.

See my guides.

6. calvincty thread starter macrumors member

calvincty

But the problem is i run disk test with zero application opened, the speed never go up above 200MB/s.

Should I reinstall and left SSD alone? I just too lazy to organize file but don't wish to sacrifice the speed .

Just wonder why everyone fusion setup can easily go up almost close to SSD speed but not mine :(

7. Orlandoech macrumors 68040

Orlandoech

Check my guide for a correct DIY Fusion setup.

8. calvincty thread starter macrumors member

calvincty

I actually follow exactly the same with your guide to set up the fusion drive. :confused:

9. carestudio macrumors 6502

another big vote for ssd and back up your data periodically.

10. chevelleguy3 macrumors regular

You mentioned that you installed the SSD in the Optical drive bay. Have you tried to switch the drives? Put the SSD in the Main bay and the HDD in the ODD bay.

I initially installed my SSD in the ODD bay and left the HDD in the Main bay and I noticed in System Info that the SSD was only getting a 1.5 Gigabit Negotiated Link Speed when it was capable of running 3 Gigabits. I put the SSD in the Main bay and it linked at 3 Gigabits.

Here's what I got:
    Mid 2010 MBP 13"

HDD in Main bay
    Link Speed: 3 Gigabits
    Negotiated Link Speed: 3 Gigabits
    SSD in ODD bay
    Negotiated Link Speed: 1.5 Gigabits

Then I swapped
    SSD in Main bay
    HDD in ODD bay

Runs much better now. It was weird that swapping them made the difference when both links were capable of 3 Gigabits.

11. hallux macrumors 68020

hallux

chevelleguy, the 2010 and 2011 MBPs use older SATA standards for the ODD bay, resulting in the lower speed you see. The 2012 uses SATA-III for both connections

The OP mentions that the machine in question is a 2012 model. What I suspect is that the fusion configuration was reversed, using the HDD as the first drive and the SSD as the second in the command. I've been reading up on this as I was considering doing it myself with the sale Newegg is having on the Samsung 840, ending tonight.

12. chevelleguy3 macrumors regular

I know the OP mentioned that he had a 2012 model. I understand that the 2010 and 2011 MBPs had the older SATA bus. If you see in my post that putting the SSD in the ODD resulted in a slower speed when it was fully capable of running at the full 3 Gigabit speed. Swapping the drives resulted in both ODD and HDD bay running at the full 3 Gigabits.

I'm not comparing SATA II and SATA III, I'm checking to see if the machine might have stepped down the speed of the ODD bay with the SSD in it.