Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tomtendo

Suspended
Original poster
Aug 29, 2009
Florida
I don't really understand the differences between FD and the SSD. I mean, I do... but its the SSD really worth the extra $900 apple is charging??

stridemat

Staff member
Apr 2, 2008
UK
As I have never used a Mac with a fusion drive I can't really comment, but for me an SSD is a must in any computer once you have used one with one installed.

Anyone have a read / write scores comparing them both?

tomtendo

Suspended
Original poster
Aug 29, 2009
Florida
As I have never used a Mac with a fusion drive I can't really comment, but for me an SSD is a must in any computer once you have used one with one installed.

Anyone have a read / write scores comparing them both?

My MBA is a SSD.

outie2k

macrumors regular
Jun 20, 2010
I don't really understand the differences between FD and the SSD. I mean, I do... but its the SSD really worth the extra $900 apple is charging??
FD comes with 128GB SSD and the rest in traditional hdd. The OS stuff will most likely be stored in the SSD for a very responsive system, but your media files and documents most likely will not.

SSD is pure SSD. Every single file is quick to access, but at a huge cost with what Apple is charging.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.