Fusion Drive - Standalone purchase?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Risco, Oct 23, 2012.

1. Risco macrumors 68000

Risco

Would not mind one of these for my MBP, what are the chances of it being a standalone sale?

2. thedarkhorse, Oct 23, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 23, 2012

thedarkhorse macrumors 6502a

0 chance. There is no physical product called a Fusion drive, fusion drive is the name for a hardware/software system of utilizing both a standard hard drive and a blade SSD installed into the system to marry both of their benefits to a single drive that the OS sees.

The closest you can get is a seagate momentus xt which is a hybrid hard drive with a flash cache, those top out at 750GB capacity and only have 8gb of flash cache vs the fusion drive system with 1tb/3tb and 128gb flash . It will not work in the same manner through mountain lion like the "fusion drive" system, but the momentus xt derives its benefits from a similar process.

3. omgitscro macrumors 6502a

omgitscro

I believe the "Fusion Drive" is really just Apple installing both a regular HD and one of their tiny SSDs into the iMac and using some new capabilities in Mountain Lion to "fuse" them at the software level—or that's what Ars said if I remember correctly. So there isn't any one physical drive that you could install in any computer.

4. mac jones macrumors 68040

It's a curious thing. I mean, I wonder if this is user configurable. Buy a 12GB SSD and a rotary and set parameters in Lion.

Why do I have the feeling this is not going to an option? :D

5. thedarkhorse macrumors 6502a

I would suspect it is locked to only systems that have both blade SSD and the ability for a second standard internal drive, which would limit it to the new imac and mac mini.

6. nuckinfutz macrumors 603

nuckinfutz

How do you explain the Fusion Drive option in the 21.5 iMac that only has one drive? Apple should be able to deliver Fusion Drive options for the cMBP but they may not do so for a while.

7. mac jones macrumors 68040

It must have two drives. I think it does (not sure).

8. thedarkhorse macrumors 6502a

it only has room for 1 standard hard drive yes, but it also has a slot for a blade SSD, which is where the fusion ability comes from. I'm guessing orders without SSD or fusion drive will be machines that either have an empty blade SSD slot or they have a different logic board all together that has no SSD blade slot.

9. bob7up macrumors newbie

There are such things as Hybrid Drives that usually have a Notebook HDD and a small size SSD (Probably 4GB-6GB) and the SSD is used as a cache for the HDD.

10. omgitscro macrumors 6502a

omgitscro

This is probably why OP was confused. Ars believes that this will not be the case with the Fusion drive.

11. Piplodocus macrumors regular

What's the thinking on this being very hardware specific? I'm guessing I'm not too likely to get lucky, and a hack's coming so my Mid-2010 MBP which currently has a 256GB SSD and a 1TB 5400rpm platter (optibay) in it could get this happening?

12. Risco thread starter macrumors 68000

Risco

Yup, I had not looked at the specifics and thought it was a hybrid but improved. I would not call it revolutionary as it is the same as Intels Smart Response. I had the chance to test it on a Dell XPS L521X, it gave a nice boost.

13. tivoboy macrumors 68030

the 90's are back

Sounds like what we used to call a RAM DISK. Only bigger. :)

14. MaxPower72 macrumors 6502

MaxPower72

If it's from Apple is a revolutionary new vision for the future.

Why can't they just finally slap SSDs on any Mac once and for all instead of coming up with this bs and still installing 5400 rpm HDs on $2000+ machines?

15. hallux macrumors 68020

hallux

Not hating on Apple at all, but this is also not a brand new concept, though Apple has tweaked it some. Asus has utilized a feature in the X79 chipset and called it "SSD Caching". This uses an installed SSD as a cached for frequently used data. Apple modified the concept some and is storing the entire OS on the SSD with some room to spare for other data.

One would HOPE there would be a way to "unlock" that feature set in OS X so those of us with a cMBP could make use of it.

16. iphonenub macrumors regular

So, will the next revision of the MBP line use fusion drives or regular SSDs? What do you guys think?

17. Stetrain macrumors 68040

I think that the next revision of the MBP line will drop the non-retina models, leaving just the retina models with blade SSDs.

I don't see them doing extra work to keep spinning hard drives in their notebooks.

18. iphonenub macrumors regular

Right, they did a lot of work to make the the MBP thinner. They aren't going to make it thicker just to add a HDD. Never mind then.