Fusion Drive, Velociraptor iMac 2009?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Verdenshersker, Jan 28, 2015.

1. Verdenshersker macrumors member

Hey all,

I have looked around on the internet and I don't seem to be able to find the answer, so I hope you can help me.

A friend of mine has the iMac 27 2009, 3.06 Ghz Core 2 Duo, 4 GB ram, Geforce 9400M and a dead harddrive (was a 500 GB I believe).
    So it has been the basic one.
    He asked if I could help him upgrade the computer now that the hard drive is dead. He never uses the DVD-Drive, so we can utilize that one too.

He has a 300 GB Velociraptor (like this one: http://www.neweggbusiness.com/Produ...MV13-mnlF1ndNET1iXqW0brJ-CIN7lANG7hoCJfXw_wcB)
    And he has a Intel SSD 160 GB (The X25M).
    So we thought about making that into a Fusion Drive.

Is that possible with a Velociraptor and that Intel SSD?

And before someone asked, he doesn't need more space than that, since he also has a 2 TB external hdd for storage.
    Oh and he will drop in 8 GB memory more as well (Total of 12 GB), so it should run a bit longer

2. ssls6 macrumors 6502a

ssls6

Fusing those two drives won't be an issue. Just make sure the hard drive won't have a thermal sensor issue. My late 2009 iMac uses a special drive that has an internal sensor. A standard drive would cause my fans to go crazy forcing me to use some sort of fan control software.

Just do your research on replacement hard drives on the exact model to see if you need to deal with the thermal sensor stuff.

3. Verdenshersker thread starter macrumors member

If needed to be, will he be able to Control Fans with SMC or so?

4. ssls6 macrumors 6502a

ssls6

I would think so but again, I would do some research at mac fixit first.

5. Verdenshersker thread starter macrumors member

Yeah I read a bit about it yesterday, but it seems like it can work, but I'll let it be up to him to decide what to do.