Fusion Drive via Target Disk

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Dadioh, Sep 5, 2013.

1. Dadioh macrumors 65816

Dadioh

I am looking at upgrading to a home grown fusion drive setup in an early 2011 i5 Macbook Pro.

First step I would use SuperDuper to make a backup image of the HDD onto an external HDD.

I would then remove the Optical drive and place a 750GB drive in a caddy to place in the optical slot. Then put a 128GB SSD in the main HDD spot.

Next step would be to boot up onto a 10.8.2 recovery USB drive and use the terminal to issue the necessary commands to create a new fusion drive.

Finally, I am hoping to set the MacBook into target drive mode and connect to my iMac via firewire so that I can restore my original image back onto the fusion drive. I am hoping that the fusion drive will be accessible via target disk mode.

So does this look like the right process to migrate into a fusion setup? Anything I am missing? Can someone confirm that target disk mode works OK with a fusion drive?

Thanks

2. Dadioh thread starter macrumors 65816

Dadioh

Well I tried it and it seems that the Fusion drive is indeed recognized in target disk mode. I was able to restore my disk image back onto the Fusion drive successfully. So this may be good info for anyone else looking at changing over to a Fusion setup and want to keep their original installation.