Fusion Drive VS Seagate Hybrid

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Freakstyles, Jun 12, 2013.

1. Freakstyles macrumors newbie

I'm thinking about replacing the drive in my 2012 MBP. I have seen instruction on how to build a fusion Drive but I have also seen a Seagate 1 TB Hybrid drive any suggestions? On the two.

2. Yahooligan macrumors 6502a

Yahooligan

They're two totally different things, though in the surface they may sound similar.

What do you want to achieve? The Fusion Drive will provide the best performance and capacity compared to the hybrid drive but will also be much more expensive since you are using an SSD and an HDD together.

The hybrid drive can potentially provide a performance boost here and there, but because the "SSD" portion of the hybrid drive is relatively small you're going to be hitting the spinning drive much more often.

With a hybrid drive, if it fails then you lose the data on it (Everyone should be backing up regularly). If either the HDD or SSD in a Fusion Drive fails then you are likely to end up with corrupt files on the remaining good drive since the Fusion setup doesn't copy entire files between drives but instead just transfers blocks based on use or lack thereof.

Point is, back up no matter what you use. In either case your MBP won't function if a drive fails. :)

Here's a write-up on what's involved in creating your own Fusion Drive.

http://www.macworld.com/article/2014011/how-to-make-your-own-fusion-drive.html

3. Freakstyles thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you very much this is the type of insight I was looking for.