Fusion drive - were audio issues fixed?

Discussion in 'Digital Audio' started by cltd, Mar 5, 2015.

1. cltd macrumors member

Hello,
    It was a lot of horror stories about fusion drive and audio issues. I'm into home recording, I use DAW software, plugins, audio interface etc. I'm going to buy brand new iMac 27 (Yosemite) but I'm afraid to get lemon with fusion drive.
    Can anybody confirm that all audio issues caused by fusion drive were fixed?*

2. apunkrockmonk macrumors 6502a

apunkrockmonk

I have used fusion drive since its inception and I've neither heard of nor experienced any such issues.

3. OllyW Moderator

OllyW

Staff Member

My Mac Mini has a Fusion Drive and I've had no problems with Logic Pro X. I know there were issues with some iMacs that came with the Fusion Drive.

I'm not sure if it ever got fixed or if it only affected early models. There's a big thread on the Apple Support site which might explain it better.

4. cltd thread starter macrumors member

5. jblongz macrumors member

If you're going to spend money on an iMac, its better to save a bit more and buy the flash storage. Fusion drive is not much faster than a normal HDD. Sure, a few applications may launch faster, but overall usage will seem the same. I have two mac minis, one with fusion, and the other with aftermarket SSD. The difference is huge.

6. cltd thread starter macrumors member

So, I bought iMac 27 (3.5 ghz i7; 1 tb fusion drive). I have no problems with fusion drive and audio. iMac works with Focusrite Saffire 24 DSP without hassle.

SSD-part of the fusion is deadly fast - NI Komplete 9 instalation from mounted iso images took about 20 minutes only! iMac boots in few seconds, applications just pop up on the screen etc.

Yes, I know, pure SSD is better - but 512 is still too small for me, 256 is rubbish novaday, and I couldn't justify to pay for 1 tb SSD in Apple store as much as for base iMac. On the other hand, OS and audio software with libraries almost eat all 128 gb, so I'm afraid HDD will kick in shortly.

7. jblongz macrumors member

That's not really how fusion works. I would advise against running the Montaigne libraries from the system drive if performance is a priority. Manually added a 2.5" ssd. Yes it voids warranty, but I'm prepared to bare that. Even running sample libraries from an external 2.5" hdd @7200prm is a better choice