Fusion Drive...worth it?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by TahoeDust, Jun 12, 2013.

1. TahoeDust macrumors 6502

I have a 13" Mid-2009 MBP 2.54ghz Core 2 Duo, with 8gb 1066 ram...this thing has been a tank. Currently I have a 250gb Samsung 840 SSD in the HDD slot and a 500gb 7200rpm HDD in the optical drive spot. Right now I keep the OS, Apps, and projects I am working on on the SSD. I keep media such as pics, vids, and music on the HDD. I just read a write up on how to setup a fusion drive on this machine and combining everything onto one logical drive would be a little more convenient...I guess. I have a few questions though.

Is this worth doing?
    Will this make the OS/Apps run slower?
    If one disc fails, do I lose everything like a Raid 0 array?
    Pros?
    Cons?

2. benwiggy macrumors 68020

There are many threads discussing this. Perhaps with a 500Gb disk, you won't gain as much advantage.
    To answer your questions:
    Yes, it's worth doing.
    No, the OS will run on the SSD (well, the bits you use, anyway).
    Yes, you lose everything if one drive fails. (As you would if you just had one drive, or a RAID 0.) But you should expect hardware to fail, regardless, and be prepared with backups.

3. TahoeDust thread starter macrumors 6502

Sorry, for asking a repetitive question, I did do a search. I guess, I was just kind of on the fence. Can you tell me why you think it's worth doing?

4. benwiggy macrumors 68020

At the very simplest level: computers are tools to help me do stuff. They are designed to do stuff for me. Any time I spend on tinkering, maintaining, administering etc, is wasted time. Fusion drive is just one more way in which a computer can do stuff for me, rather than me doing stuff for the computer.