Fusion drive

Discussion in 'iMac' started by frozi, Sep 27, 2013.

1. frozi macrumors member

I'm sure this MSG has been asked and I did a quick little search. But was hoping to get a little different feedback.

I will be purchasing the new IMAc for video editing and after effects.

I'm going to juice up the processor and video card. But the hard drive.... I am going to be buying this computer for professional use. And I feel fusion drive might be too "gimmicky" as of right now from a professional side.

Especially when it comes to trouble shooting and things like that. Would I be safer just to go standard hard drive. Or am I being to paranoid?

Thoughts?

2. Apple fanboy macrumors Core

Apple fanboy

Had mine nearly a year now, with zero issues. I don't think there are any downsides with the fusion drive.

3. firedept macrumors 603

firedept

Have had mine for close to a year as well and no issues. Also nice to have the extra storage.

4. SmurfBoxMasta macrumors 65816

SmurfBoxMasta

go fusion, be happy, don't worry.......

but for pro use, also get some BIG external TB drives, and fill them puppies up :)

5. steveOooo macrumors 6502a

I have a Mac Pro with 128gb ssd as the boot - with the os/ apps stored on it (mostly read only) and the home directory (docs,movies,picture are stored) is linked to a internal 1tb drive. It's been work a ok for 2+ years - fusion drive is just a very similar thing / set up and beneficial due o apps and os stuff loading very quikly

6. frozi thread starter macrumors member

So if I picked fusion drive. I am spending an additional 200 dollars to load the computer and apps faster?

Some people are saying it will help with render times. But if I'm keeping all my media on a external. Then wouldn't the external need to be sdd in order to speed up render times?