Fusion drive

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Monistee, Apr 20, 2015.

1. Monistee macrumors newbie

Good evening all. I'M HAVING A PROBLEM WITH SETTING UP MY PARTITION. I HAVE A FUSION DRIVE. AND IT WON'T LET ME CHANGE IT'S SIZE. I'M NOT THE SHARPEST TOOL IN THE SHED WHEN IT COMES TO COMPUTERS. BUT I DID WHAT THE MANUAL SAID ABOUT MAKING A PARTITION. YOUR HELP WITH THIS WOULD BE MUCH APPRECIATED. THE ATTACHMENTS ARE PICS OF THE DISK UTILITY. HAVE A GOOD ONE ALL! :) I'M NOT YELLING POOR EYE SIGHT!

2. Monistee thread starter macrumors newbie

These are the pictures thanks!

Attached Files:

3. marzer, Apr 20, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 20, 2015

marzer macrumors 65816

marzer

You can add only one additional partition to a Fusion drive. Once a second partition is added neither can be resized. You can remove the second partition and re-add it in a different size. But that's about it.

Also, I noticed you are booting off the second partition. Only the first partition is the actual fusion drive (SSD+HDD), the second partition is all HDD.

P.S. It can be done using the command line version "diskutil" but you'd need to be pretty comfortable working in Terminal.

4. Monistee thread starter macrumors newbie

hey once again. I should of made it clearer. I'm wanting to make yosemite the one, and only drive. Yosemite is mavericks 2. I forgot to change it from mavericks. I have all my apps already downloaded on it. So i'm hoping not having to lose any of it. On my old mac i just upgraded from, i had no problem doing this. But this mac is a fusion drive. And i know very little about it. And i'm being generous to myself by saying that. Have a goodone all! :)

----------

hey marzer. Thanks for your quick reply. I did erase all off the maverick which is the fusion drive then. But i can't remove it. That sucks. I just spent 5 days downloading every app i have to yosemite. So i guess i'm stuck with it. I guess i'm screwed. You take care and thanks!

5. yjchua95 macrumors 604

Yet another reason why I went for a pure SSD setup.

Messing around with Core Storage configurations in Fusion Drive is more trouble than it's worth.

6. marzer macrumors 65816

marzer

If you have a backup of your system you could restore to a single partition, install Yosemite then restore your system.

7. Monistee thread starter macrumors newbie

i'm starting to realize that myself!

----------

do you mean backup yosemite. Then erase all. Then restore it once again. When i restore would that restore all my apps also. And thanks for your time!

8. yjchua95 macrumors 604

Yes, basically just do a Time Machine backup to an external drive, then reformat the entire Fusion Drive and fuse it back into a single logical volume group, then just do a Time Machine restore. That would restore everything, including settings, apps, etc.